Dog Coughing and Gagging
Coughing is the body's natural response to get rid of something that is irritating the airway. In most cases, your dog may gag and cough because of a tight collar or simply because he is aging.
However, if episodes of coughing and gagging are frequent, persistent, and lessen but recur, then you might have enough reasons to show your pet to a veterinarian. Symptoms such as these may indicate several conditions.
Some cases, the underlying problem may be a foreign object stuck in the throat of your pet, while in some, it may be something as severe as a heart disease.
That is why, a proper medical diagnosis is required to rule out the potential causes, and devise an appropriate treatment plan to manage the condition.
Health Tips - Ancient Remedy for Treating Asthma, Bronchitis and chronic lung disease
TREAT ASTHMA, BRONCHITIS AND CHRONIC LUNG DISEASE WITH 1 TABLESPOON OF THIS ANCIENT REMEDY (AFTER EVERY MEAL) Bronchitis, ...
- Often, a foreign object may get stuck in the throat or esophagus of your dog, causing him to gag, cough and retch.
- Such episodes, however, do not usually affect breathing.
- The following objects are usually responsible for such incidents:
Get your pet immediate medical help if he shows the following symptoms, apart from a gagging cough.
Fever Foul breath Excessive drooling Heavy panting Coughing up blood Difficulty swallowing Unusual lethargy Red and swollen gums Spitting up white foam Gums with a bluish tinge Anxious for no apparent reasons Pain in closing and opening the mouth Chronic diarrhea and vomiting Constant pawning at the mouth Persistent nasal discharge for over two daysCoughing and gagging in canines may not always be indicators of poor health. However, if these symptoms keep showing up, get worse, or are accompanied by other abnormal symptoms, then they should raise an alarm. Using any kind of home remedy or medicines to suppress or manage these symptoms in your pet, may lead to unpleasant or even dangerous situations. As a responsible pet owner, the best you can do for your pet is take notice of his illness, and take him to a vet at the earliest.
Bronovil: Relief for Upper Respiratory InfectionBronovil Cough Relief Package includes soothing homeopathic drops and herbal supplement, developed to help target the source of upper respiratory infection. Bronovil's active ingredients have been used safely for hundreds of years to support healthy lungs and respiratory system, helping in reducing inflammation and support respiratory health. Now they are all combined into this special cough formula. Decreasing inflammation and supporting healing has been shown to relieve the pain and flare-ups related to upper respiratory infections.
Click Here to Purchase »
Tuberculosis is caused by a bacterium called the Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and can spread from one person to another through the air.
Cough along with mucus or sputum from the lungs, sometimes containing blood lasting for 2 - 3 weeks.
Fever and sweating
Difficulty in breathing.
Tuberculosis is diagnosed by undergoing a blood test, skin test, and some imaging tests. Latent TB can be diagnosed by taking a tuberculosis skin test called the Mantoux test. A chest X-ray may be advised to confirm the diagnosis.
- Then there are other medicines that are used to alleviate other symptoms that accompany sinus cough.
- Saline nasal sprays are given which rinses off the mucus in the nasal passage and facilitate easier breathing.
- Steroid nasal sprays are often prescribed to control sinus drainage.
- Such sprays bring down the inflammation on the mucous membrane of the nasal passage and provide relief from the congested feeling inside the nose.
- Antihistamine medicines are prescribed for treating various allergy symptoms like a runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
- If there are signs of bacterial infection, then antibiotics are prescribed.
- Once the infection is eliminated with these medicines you can get relief from the annoying cough too.
- Some of these medicines are available over the counter as well.
- Still, it is strictly advisable that you take these medicines under medical supervision only.
Bronchitis can be caused due to bacteria, virus, or any particle that may cause irritation of the bronchial tubes. Acute bronchitis is usually caused due to a virus, although bacteria, smoking, or exposure to certain particles can also result in this condition. Smoking is the main cause of chronic bronchitis.
What is Dry Drowning?
The term dry drowning relates to the lack of ability of one's lungs to extract oxygen from inhaled air. In dry drowning, a certain amount of water, or any liquid, is present in the lungs, which results in the inability to take in oxygen from the air that is inhaled. It does not mean that the individual died in water, but simply means that there was no or little water in the lungs at the time of death. Hence, the term 'dry' is given. Moreover, it may also take place due to a damage to the respiratory system, and may even be induced by torture which includes waterboarding or repeated submersions of an individual in water, or any other fluid.
Dry drowning in infants and children can also be caused due to muscular paralysis, drinking water excessively (which causes surplus fluid to get into the lung cells), inhaling a gas other than oxygen for a long period of time, and a puncture injury to the torso. In majority of dry drowning cases, when the person has been in water for a considerable period of time, a very small amount of liquid is found in the lungs during necropsy. In children, most victims are those who have been diagnosed with breathing or lung complications. This includes infants with underdeveloped lungs, children diagnosed with asthma, those who have antecedently suffered from pneumonia or any lung trauma like Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS).
Frequent cough is one of the acute symptoms. Normally, the child will suffer from dry cough initially. However, after a few days, the cough will bring up mucus from the lungs. Often, it is seen that the cough worsens at night, which may make it difficult for the child to sleep. Constant coughing can also cause the child to vomit. Chest pain while coughing is also a common symptom of this infection. You may notice, that the child may have a high pitched noise similar to wheezing, more so, after he has had a bout of cough. In some cases, the child may also run out of breath for a short period. Normally, acute bronchitis in toddlers does not last longer than 7 to 8 days. However, the cough caused due to this lung infection can last for a few weeks.
Bouts of coughing and gagging may indicate a roundworm infection in your dog. When roundworm eggs find their way inside an animal's body, they hatch in the stomach. With the help of the circulatory system, the larvae are then carried to the lungs. Once present in the lungs, these parasites make their way into the air sacs by boring through the capillaries. This activity may cause irritation and a gagging cough.
- Interstitial lung disease constitute a group of diseases characterized by scarring or inflammation of the lungs.
- It is due to the lungs getting scarred that the capacity of the lungs to absorb adequate oxygen is greatly affected.
- There are some types of interstitial lung diseases that are caused by inhalation of potentially harmful dust and other particles in the atmosphere.
- They may even be categorized as occupational diseases.
- Know, that when the symptoms are in the initial stages, it is important that you do not neglect the condition, and seek medical aid.
Make Sure that There are No Further Complications
This can only be possible when you receive the practitioners prescription letter. He might put you on a dose of corticosteroids or oxygen supplementation. He may also resort to prescribing you anti-inflammatory like Bretnazone or anticancer drugs to further avoid the deterioration of the symptoms. However, the treatment may not be termed up to the mark.
Damion is a leading curator at 816babi.com, a blog about alternative health news. Previously, Damion worked as a advertising guru at a well-known high tech company. When he's not researching new articles, Damion loves painting and fishing.