Dry Cough at Night
Dry or wet cough is not a disease but a symptom of some other medical conditions that might affect the body. It may interfere with sleep, and daily functioning of the affected person. In most cases, a dry cough (also known as a non-productive cough) usually worsens at night.
Poor physical health is not the only reason behind occurrence of this cold sensation that causes shivering without fever. People suffering from emotional problems like anxiety disorders (panic attacks) could get this sudden cold feeling from time to time. Visible shivering is often considered as a body's natural response to fear resulting from anxious thoughts. Nervousness, dry mouth and a reduction in body temperature also accompany during anxiety disorders.
- Popular home remedy to manage cough is chewing ginger.
- Every night before going to bed, put a small piece of freshly cut ginger in your mouth, and chew it slowly and swallow the juice.
- Also, you can prepare a paste of ginger and honey, and use it whenever needed.
- Food allergies are not very well-known in causing chest congestion; however, their impact is eminent in nature.
- Increased levels of histamine in the lungs causes the individual to succumb to this trouble.
- As histamine is produced in the lungs, the soft tissue become inflamed; thereby, restricting the airways.
- Known to be a chemical in the body, histamine protects the body from infection; however, it can cause inflammation.
- When you ingest the food item you are allergic to, the immune system reacts to the proteins in that food, treating them as harmful.
- The body reacts by creating Immunoglobulin E (IgE) -- antibodies that defend it.
- The production of IgE antibodies causes cells in the lungs to produce histamine.
- There are some people who are allergic to milk and other dairy products.
- They cause allergic asthma in an individual.
- Allergy to molds can also cause this health issue.
- Dust mites and molds have a higher degree of infestation, especially during winters.
- Dust mites are spider-like creatures that are invisible to the naked eye.
- They are found predominantly on bedding.
- When one develops bronchitis, it can be in an acute form occurring due to a bacterial, or viral infection.
- It is mostly a viral infection, and hence, antibiotic therapy is not of much use.
- Pneumonia, on the other hand, can occur due to a variety of factors.
- It can either be community-acquired infection, or a nosocomial infection.
- It, generally affects immunocompromised individuals, like children, the elderly, pregnant women, etc.
- The main causative agent of pneumonia is the bacterium called Streptococcus pneumoniae.
"Dry", "wet", "hacking", "productive" and "chesty" are all ways to describe a cough. According to a recent USA Today article, nothing helps a doctor diagnose your ...
Marshmallow roots and leaves contain a gummy substance called mucilage. It is mixed with water to form a gel, which may be applied to the throat to reduce irritation.
Fenugreek seeds are rich in mucilage, lipids, and protease inhibitors, and is used to treat sore throat. It also helps to remove mucus and phlegm from the air passages.
Is Chronic Bronchitis Contagious? Coughing, repeated blowing of the nasal area as a result of mucus accumulating, problems inside breathing . these are common signs of bronchitis, an infection of the lungs. It is often associated with asthma sufferers or a negative cold. Yet what if...
Lobelia is the Indian tobacco, which is a highly toxic herb. Therefore, it is always recommended in very small doses. It is used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and severe coughing.
Other conditions associated with a nocturnal dry cough or a dry cough that aggravates at night include:Self-Care Measures.
Treatment of Dry Cough Depends on Its Underlying Cause
That is why, it is crucial to determine what is causing the cough, and take appropriate measures for treating it. Apart from following a doctor's advice, the following self-care measures can be taken to reduce discomfort and manage the symptoms.
- Bell Pepper: Bell pepper is a natural expectorant.
- So, add it to your diet, and try to eat at least one meal in a day which has bell pepper in it.
- It will help to thin out the mucus, and it will be easy to cough it out.
- Drink a lot of Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Be it soups, herbal teas, or plain warm water.
- Drinking lots of fluids will thin the mucus and make coughing up white mucus easier, also it will decrease the span of infection.
- Mix 5-10 grams of donkey-hide gelatin in hot water.
- Let the mixture cool down, and drink.
- You can also use wine, instead of water.
- This is a traditional Chinese home remedy used to relieve dry cough and other common illnesses.
Victor is a content specialist at pianavia.com, a resource on natural health. Previously, Victor worked as a post curator at a media startup. When he's not sourcing content, Victor enjoys biking and shopping.