Dry Drowning Symptoms in Toddlers
Dry drowning in toddlers can be defined as a condition developed as a result of water entering into the lungs of the toddlers. This may suffocate the baby causing death due to lack of oxygen in the lungs. It can happen immediately after the water has entered the lungs or after 24 hours. In some cases, if the damage caused by dry drowning is not properly treated, then symptoms can show up once again after several days and may lead to death as well. Usually, the water gets into the lungs of the toddlers while in the swimming pool or even in a bathtub.
You may be surprised to know that water from the bathtub can cause dry drowning in infants or toddlers. Therefore, you should be alert while giving bath to your tiny tot. Toddlers do not have well-developed lungs, and hence are more susceptible to dry drowning. The condition worsens if the toddler has some lung problems or any other breathing problem, or has been diagnosed with pneumonia or asthma in the past.
What to Do If You Think Your Dog Has Kennel Cough
Once your dog starts to vomit, or once you notice his or her cough is getting much worse, it is imperative to get him or her to the veterinarian as soon as possible as too much vomiting can cause dehydration and become dangerous for your dog. After kennel cough has been diagnosed, your veterinarian may give your puppy an antibiotic. This can upset your dog's stomach, though, and make the vomiting worse, so you may want to ask about vomit suppressants while you're there to avoid another trip to the vet later.
- When you get home, be sure to take the water bowl away from the dog, as gulping water can also upset your dog's stomach.
- Give him or her ice cubes every hour or so, and little bits of food if you can, to keep your furry friend hydrated.
- Most importantly, you must keep your dog away from other dogs while he or she has symptoms.
- As long as the symptoms persist, your dog is still highly contagious.
- Don't spread the misery to other animals; be sure to keep your dog secluded.
The difference mainly lies in the part of the respiratory tract that is affected by inflammation. While bronchiolitis is mainly caused by respiratory synctial virus, bronchitis could be caused by varied strains of bacteria and viruses. Well, whatever be the cause, the symptoms are quite distressing and thus, precautionary measures must be taken. Since these conditions are associated with the inflammation of airways, care must be taken to ensure that the surroundings are free of substances that may irritate the airways. Since viruses can become air-borne, and can spread through inhalation of respiratory secretions, one must maintain distance from those who are down with flu or other viral infections. Since people with a weakened immune system are more likely to develop such ailments, one must make the right lifestyle choices in order to strengthen the immune system, so as to promote good health.
Fatigue and Exhaustion
Usually, toddlers are a bundle of energy. If you find that all of a sudden your tiny tot is showing lack of energy after playing during bath, then it could be the sign of dry drowning. This symptom is often ignored by parents because they feel that their child is just tired after long hours of play.
- Secondly, decongestants and cough suppressants are helpful in clearing pulmonary congestion.
- They help in clearing mucus and ease breathing.
- Thirdly, menthol containing cream can also be used to clear congestion.
- You can rub it on your chest or on the nose to ease breathing and prevent cough.
- Apart from these, there are several natural methods that can be equally effective to treat persistent cough.
Chest pain is not at all common among toddlers. So, if your tot is complaining of pain in the chest, then it is a warning signal that something is seriously wrong. This happens because of the pressure created on the chest by the vacuum within the lungs.
While bronchiolitis usually affects infants, bronchitis could affect children as well as adults. Bronchitis is categorized into acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis. This condition occurs due to inflammation of bronchial tubes due to inhalation of environmental irritants. The airways could also get inflamed due to pathogenic infections. When one inhales any irritants or pathogens, the lining of bronchial tubes may swells up, thereby causing the bronchi to become constricted. The excessive secretion of inflammatory fluid can give rise to various distressing symptoms.
Acute bronchitis is characterized by sudden or rapid onset of symptoms such as cough, tightness in chest, wheezing, fever, labored breathing or fatigue. Usually, viruses that cause flu or common cold are responsible for causing acute bronchitis. Use of inhaled medications or other drugs can help in alleviating the symptoms of bronchitis. While acute bronchitis resolves within a couple of weeks, chronic bronchitis usually lasts for more than three months. If left untreated, the infection can even affect the lungs.
DIY : Clean Your Lungs In 3 Days
Know How To Clean Your Lungs In 72 Hours or 3 Dayes! Issues with your lungs can happen, whether you are smoker or not. In the event that you are a smoker ...
Thus, One Must Follow Precautionary Measures, Especially During the Flu Season
Since fever and production of cough can cause loss of fluids, one must stay well-hydrated. Smoking can make one highly susceptible to bronchitis and other upper respiratory infections, which is why, it would be in one's best interest to refrain from smoking. While inhaled corticosteroids or bronchodilators may help to dilate the constricted airways, anti-viral drugs or antibiotics may help in treating the pathogenic infection.
Change in Behavior
When toddlers feel any discomfort, it gets reflected in their mood and behavior. You may also find that your toddler may appear confused and is unable to follow your verbal instructions or is getting overly agitated. The problem with toddlers is that they cannot easily express their thoughts and feelings. As a result, emotional changes can be observed in them.
- You find any of the aforementioned symptoms in toddlers, then take your baby to the emergency room in your area, without any delay.
- Toddlers can be saved if treatment is done on time.
- Treatment is not possible at home.
- It involves removal of water from the lungs and resuming the supply of oxygen in the lungs.
- The early the symptoms are observed, the better it is for the child.
- Any kind of delay can have serious repercussions on the life of the toddler.