Bronchitis Teaching: Cough Remedies
The body's natural reflex reaction to get rid of mucus, trapped organisms, and foreign material from the lungs and throat is by coughing. There are 2 types of cough, one is productive cough and the other is termed as non-productive cough. In productive cough, the lungs are filled with mucus and one needs to cough up the phlegm. In non-productive cough, mucus is not produced and one suffers from dry cough. One may suffer from either chronic or acute cough. There are several causes of cough, like asthma, allergies, inflammation of the larynx or pharynx, bacterial respiratory infection, smoking, inhalation of irritants, changes in weather, etc. In the following paragraphs, we shall cover some remedies that will help you get rid of this annoying condition.
- Causes These symptoms are commonly found if you suffer from any respiratory disorder.
- The following are the causes of fever and sore throat observed in adults and children.
Severe Viral Infections, Lips and Nails May Turn Blue
Dehydration is also one of the main symptoms of infected lungs. Candida infection caused by a fungus exhibits the same symptoms as are exhibited in other types of infections. In some severe cases, surgical removal of very large mass of fungus becomes an essential part of the treatment.
Pain: Chest infection creates your body weak which is susceptible to pain. One may go through headache quite frequently. The joints, bones, muscles and nerves of the body becomes sensitive and pain is experienced in various parts of the body. Within treatment plans, back and neck discomfort mostly happen as a result of achy muscles.
Coughing is usually a symptom of some disease or ailment, and it is not a disease in itself. The body responds to the presence of some waste material present in the air passageways by inducing a cough to push out the irritants out of the system. The heaviness of a cough often helps a doctor to determine the exact cause behind it and suggest some suitable medication for the condition. Similarly, even a dry hacking cough is the symptom of a disease that has primarily affected the lungs, or the airways in the body.
Common cold is the most common medical condition in the world. Common cold is a mild infection caused by virus, and is characterized by sore throat, low-grade fever, cough, sneezing, and runny nose. Common cold is very contagious and commonly seen in infants and children.
Sore Throat and Tonsillitis
If you notice your dog gagging and coughing weakly, after he swallows or licks his lips, then suspect sore throat and tonsillitis as the underlying causes. These two conditions, in canines, almost always go hand in hand. The latter usually occurs as a secondary symptom of the former.
- Common Cold Common cold can also lead to the formation of green mucus.
- The chilly earns dry cough, an inflamed throat and a runny nose that leads to the formation of green mucus.
Basically, sinus cough is a symptom of a sinus infection which is also known as sinusitis. In this condition, irritation happens in the small nose cavities. It mostly happens when the upper respiratory tract is attacked by germs like the common cold virus, bacteria or fungi. When the sinus passage receives annoyed due to exposure to contaminants in the air, airborne dirt and dust, smoking or harmful chemical compounds, then also it may lead to sinus swelling and infection.
- Fever: The body temperature often rises because of the infection.
- If it is an upper respiratory infection, then usually one gets a mild fever.
- However, the actual a fever as a result of pneumonia, could rise above 101 degrees F.
- You can peel a small piece of ginger and sprinkle some salt on it.
- Chew this piece of ginger as it is an effective dry cough remedy.
- A nice, hot bath or shower and breathing in the steam will also help relieve the dry cough.
Usually, acute bronchitis develops from common cold or even some other respiratory diseases. So, the initial symptoms of bronchitis may include runny nasal area, a sore throat, buff aches, as well as general tiredness. The actual onset of the disease is marked with dry cough. As the situation worsens, the cough may well talk about mucous, which can be white or yellowish-green in color. At times, the sputum can be blood-tinged as well. In case of extreme bronchitis, moderate fever and chills may also create. High fever can be a symptom of bronchitis that is caused by the flu.
Coughing can be classified into 2 categories: productive and dry (unproductive). A productive cough results in the discharge of sputum or mucus, whereas the latter is simply an irritation in the lungs caused by some other reasons. A dry hacking cough is most commonly seen towards the later stages of a common cold, and can also be caused by some external irritants like smoke or dust.
When to Seek Medical Help?
It is important to contact your doctor if you develop any of these serious symptoms: Both cold and flu viruses type in the body through mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and mouth. Therefore, each and every time you touch one of those areas of your body you might invade yourself if you have been exposed to a virus. For that reason, it is very important, especially during cold and flu season, to wash your hands often and prevent close contact with sick people. To avoid seasonal flu, you can get a flu shot to develop antibodies and provide protection. Nonetheless, if you do get the flu (either seasonal or swine flu), prescription antiviral drugs such as tamiflu and also relenza may help. Bed rest and also chicken soup are good treatment options. In spite of following the aforesaid measures, if you are still feeling negative or even getting worse after a couple of days, you need to seek medical help.
Mixture of warm water and mustard, when put on the chest, provides enormous relief from the rounds of cough.
Case of internal bleeding, or if a fungal golf ball has formed in the lung area, antifungal medications are usually of no use as they cannot penetrate this ball. In such a case, the patient may have to go through embolization, to prevent bleeding, or surgery to be able to remove the infection ball. In case of sensitive aspergillosis, common corticosteroids are known to be effective in stopping the infection. In people with compromised immune system, the main issue has to be addressed.
You can shred an onion and add 1 teaspoon of thyme leaf and a cup of honey. This mixture should be added to a pan and heated till it becomes soft. This mixture can then be added to the child's food and see the cough disappear. The remaining mixture can be refrigerated and used when needed.
- Due to the presence of fluid or pus in the lungs, the lungs are not able to perform their tasks correctly.
- The main task of the lung area is circulation oxygen to all the cells in the body, after purifying it from the air.
- Pneumonia limits this performance of the lungs, and reduces the amount of oxygen that reaches the various parts of the body.
- Breathing Difficulty: As the nose and rest of the respiratory tract gets blocked with thick mucus, breathing problem arises.
- Consequently, one starts getting superficial and quick breathing.
- It also produces coughing seem during inhalation.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of salt to lukewarm water and use it to gargle.
- It is a very beneficial remedy.
- Mix 1 gram turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Have this mixture thrice a day to get rid of dry cough quickly.
Side effects of prescription drugs are common, especially when the dosage of medicine is incorrect. The individual put on drugs for the treatment of a specific disease, may go through sessions of continuous chills but surprisingly the temperature would be normal.
Cough Remedies for Children
Children are the ones most affected by cough, cold, and flu. This is because their immune system is developing and cannot cope with the common infections. There are many treatment options for babies that you can try at home and help your child get better. These natural remedies do not cause any allergic or adverse side effects.
- Treatment When the symptoms are mild, they may not really require any medical treatment, they might abate on their own.
- Reasonable in order to significant bacterial infections are diagnosed with the help of laboratory analyze like X-rays and mucus trial test.
- The signs have a tendency to get worse with exposure to toxic stimulants such as dust, smoke, chemicals, and so forth.
- Therefore, you ought to stay away from them.
- You need to cover up your own face whilst sneezing and coughing in order to avoid spread of infection.
Dry drowning is considered an extremely serious matter, and it is strongly recommended that parents to keep an eye on their children while they swim in the pool. Even after the swimming session is over, parents or guardians should observe the child for the above symptoms. Likewise, children who have been playing in water (such as water parks, bathtubs, etc.) also need to be monitored for dry drowning symptoms.
COPD Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Nucleus Health
Hospitals and health systems can license this video for content marketing or patient engagement. Learn more: ...
Given below is a brief introduction to the types of pneumonia and their recovery time particulars, then several general information about this disease.
While flu virus or varicella zoster virus are known to cause pneumonia in children and young adults, this condition can also be caused due to a microorganism called Streptococcus pneumoniae. People who deal such bacterial infections tend to have signs and symptoms such as:
- You can even squeeze a lemon and mix it with drinking water.
- Lemon juice is also one of many tried-and-tested home remedies for cough and cold for children.
Dry Cough Cures
Dry cough is mostly caused due to an allergy, viral infection, asthma attack, exposure to foreign bodies or chemicals, and even heavy smoking. You can resort to a few remedies to get rid of this condition at the earliest.
Bacterial Lung Infection This infection is caused by Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) -- a strain of Staphylococcus bacteria that is resistant to most antibiotics. It is very common in patients, who are hospitalized. The most commonly observed symptom of bacterial lung infection is inflammation. In the affected region, the local cells release histamine, which gives rise to inflammation. This can further cause production of mucus, increase in the flow of blood, and swelling, too. Irritation of the skin is also one of the symptoms of bacterial lung infection.
- You can even bring home a humidifier and place it in your bedroom or living room.
- This will help heal your dry cough and keep respiratory infections at bay.
- The Causes If we speak of acute bronchitis, then more often than not, the cause is detected to be a viral infection in 90% of cases.
- And the virus that causes it is usually the same pathogen that causes common cold or influenza (flu).
- This type of the condition, as seen in most patients, begins after a person contracts cold or a sore throat.
- Gargling: This is an excellent way to control the neck discomfort.
- Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and utilize this solution for gargling several times in a day.
- This will rinse the mucus in the throat and reduce the frequency of coughing.
Chest infection is quite common among both adults as well as small children. It is of two different types. One is related to upper respiratory tract infection in which the nasal area, nose cavities, larynx and pharynx are included. In the other one, the lower respiratory tract is attacked and also the lungs acquire impacted. This is a more serious condition and also can be found in people suffering from pneumonia.
- You can extract the juice from a finely chopped onion and add about 2 teaspoons of it to 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Mix well and keep it aside for 5 to 6 hours.
- Then, take one teaspoon of this mixture at least 2 times a day.
- Soak 5 to 6 almonds overnight and peel their skin off in the morning.
- Grind the almonds to a fine paste and add a bit of sugar to it.
- Eat this paste to treat your dry cough.
Cough: An inflammation in the air passage that is in between the nose and the lungs leads to a lot of irritability inside the throat which gives rise to a chesty cough. At first, it is a dry cough however as mucous gets accrued, thick mucous is expelled which can be yellow or green in color. Repeated cough contracts the thoracic hole so badly that traces of blood may come out with the particular phlegm. The cough bothers the patient for at least 7-10 days, or even weeks.
Smoking Cigarette smoke consists of large amounts of toxic matter as well as to ensure the cleanup of the toxins, the body generates considerable amounts of thick mucous which usually often gets caught in the airways providing a breeding ground for bacteria and other trojans.
You can Prepare a Tea Containing 1 Lemon Juice and a Tablespoon of Honey
Honey helps soothe the irritated throat and clear the dry cough. A glass of hot milk mixed with a tablespoon of honey is also effective. You can drink this milk at bedtime, as it will prevent coughing and help you sleep peacefully.
The Symptoms For both acute and chronic form of the condition, the most common and classic symptom is a hacking cough. This cough may make the patient spit out mucus which can be yellow-grey, green, white or clear. These can be worsened by a feeling of being tired (sometimes even without any exertion), low-grade fever, chills and an uneasy feeling in the chest. Sore throat, wheezing, nasal congestion, and body aches are some other symptoms that may occur. These symptoms may vary in their severity, depending on whether the problem is acute or chronic. For instance, if the person is diagnosed with acute bronchitis, then he may be troubled by a cough that would last for several weeks. However, the same does not subside even until three months for about two years, then the case might be declared to be one of a chronic bronchitis.
There has been a considerable debate about the difference between expectorants and suppressants with the same treatment applied to expectorants and decongestants. Well, we may conclude that both work towards dealing with cough; however, their function or approach differs. Expectorants are usually approved with regard to day time, used to bring out the mucous by loosening it; on the other hand a suppressant is approved to be consumed when it is bedtime time to control the power of cough, thus promoting sound sleep. The syrup has to be taken by mouth, however a doctor's prescribed associated the medication is a primary requirement. Managing the personal without having prescription may not be ideal to control the situation.
Contributing Factors and Symptoms
Bronchitis describes the soreness of the lining of the bronchial pipes that perform the essential task of carrying air in order to and also from the lungs. Viral and transmissions are the most common causes of bronchitis. More often than not, the viruses that cause cold and flu are responsible for causing the redness of bronchial tubes. Bronchitis also can come to be pneumonia in the absence of prompt treatment.
- Remedy: Reducing the dose of the recommended medicine can help to stop these types of negative effects.
- Nonetheless, when the 'chills' continue to trouble you, you need to change the medicine and look for other options.
- You can even prepare a special tea by adding 1 tablespoon of honey, juice of half a lemon, and warm water.
- This concoction can be given to the child to drink, and it helps to get rid of the cough as well as congestion.
- Herbal teas made from peppermint and chamomile can be given to older children.
- An older child can be given ginger tea as this concoction proves to be one of the most effective remedies for cough.
- Add a piece of ginger to the tea and allow the child to drink it twice a day.
Another easy and effectual cure involves the use of apple cider vinegar and honey. Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with equal amounts of honey. Drink this concoction to cure cough. Similarly, mix equal amount of aloe vera juice or gel with honey and take a teaspoon of this mixture. It will soothe your throat and provide quick relief.
Types of PneumoniaThe lungs are divided into functional units referred to as lobes. In the event that the infection or the redness occurs only in a particular lobe it is known as lobar pneumonia; but if a number of pads all over the lungs are afflicted, it is known as bronchial pneumonia. Nevertheless, pneumonia is more commonly classified as bacterial or viral, on the basis of the causative agent. Apart from this, other unusual types of pneumonia include fungal, parasitic, idiopathic or noninfectious pneumonia, and also faith pneumonia.
- Herb known as savory is often recommended in order to remove the mucus accumulated in the lungs.
- Usually consumed with tea, the botanical herb is used as soon as in a day.
- Thyme (herb) can also help to remove mucus and fight lung an infection.
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
A more severe condition than the ones mentioned earlier, congestive heart failure has intermittent coughing (sometimes accompanied by gagging) as one of its early symptoms. The coughing grows worse with excitation or physical exertion. In most dogs, the cough begins at night after they go to sleep.
Intra-alveolar pressure = 2T R T stands for tension and R stands for the radius of the alveolus. Effect of the Law of Laplace on the Alveoli Smaller alveoli have a larger intraluminal pressure. As gas flows from a region of high pressure to low pressure, it flows from the small to large alveolus, which can cause the small alveolus to collapse. However, the decrease in alveolar volume decreases surface area, which concentrates the surfactant molecules. This reduces the surface tension. When the surface tension decreases due to the surfactant, the pressure becomes lower in the small alveolus. As a result, gas flows from the large alveolus to the smaller one. This prevents it from collapsing.
Your cough does not get better in a few days of trying these home remedies, see your doctor. If you cough up green; yellow; or brown mucus or blood or bloody mucus, visit the doctor immediately. Shortness of breath accompanied by chest pain, night sweats, persistent chills, laryngitis, skin rash, ear ache, tooth ache, headache, etc., needs medical attention. Persistent coughing also needs a doctor's attention at the earliest.
With postinflammatory pulmonary fibrosis, the sensitive tissues in the lungs scar or thicken due to fibrosis. With such increase in thickness, the muscles become taut and rigid. This reduces the lungs ability to expand and contract, and hence difficulty in breathing. There is no exact cause for such fibrosis. Usually this condition occurs, after some disease and infection has attacked the lungs. While there are at least a hundred lung diseases and various causes, that result in such growth, here are some common ones:Workers in mines of coal and precious metals, ship workers and sand blasters, are at a higher risk of lung diseases and hence fibrosis, due to the nature of their work. Smokers, especially over 40 years old individuals, are at a risk. Research in this field has shown the chance of a genetic disposition with this condition.