Wet Cough: Chronic Asthmatic Bronchitis
You cautiously monitor the term 'asthmatic bronchitis', it consists of two pulmonary illnesses, 'asthma' and also 'bronchitis', both of them being listed under the category of Chronic Obstructive Lung Diseases (COPD). Bronchitis is a condition wherein inflammation occurs in the bronchial pontoons which are made to supply air in order to and from our lungs. This inflammation can lead to narrowing of the airways which can lead to breathing difficulties. On the other hand, asthma also leads to narrowing of the airway muscle groups because of swelling.
When both these disorders co-exist together, it is known as asthmatic bronchitis. The prefix of the term 'chronic' indicates that the condition has become very persistent that it has led to extreme obstruction in the bronchial tubes. Mucous production is also seen in this condition causing wet cough and wheezing. Are you wondering if asthmatic bronchitis is contagious? Although, bronchitis is certainly contagious, chronic labored breathing bronchitis isn't regarded as being a contagious condition!
Risks of Whooping Cough
As mentioned above, due to the availability of advanced treatment methods and vaccination, the chances of contracting whooping cough is relatively less. Secondly, due to the same reasons, the chances of death occurring due to whooping cough are further lessened. According to the statistics, deaths occurring due to whooping cough are as low as 0.2% of the total cases. However, this does not mean that there cannot be any possibility of death. As there are reported deaths caused due to this disease, one should be aware of the whooping cough risks and take care in order to prevent them.
- Coughing is a type of reflex action that begins when the sensory nerves of the respiratory system are stimulated by different irritants.
- By coughing, the body tries to flush out the irritants and foreign particles that have entered the respiratory passage.
- Dry cough and wet cough are the two types of cough that people commonly suffer from.
- Dry cough can cause a lot of discomfort, especially in the night, and can also deprive the person of sleep and rest.
- It is common in children, but many adults, too, suffer.
- With the help of medications and remedies, it is essential to prevent it from turning into a persistent or chronic cough.
- Persistent, chronic dry cough can be very difficult to treat, and takes a long time to cure completely.
Cough is a sudden and repetitive reflex that helps clear the large breathing passages from secretions, irritants, foreign bodies, and microbes. It is important to note that, it is not a disease, but a self-defense mechanism of the body, which is triggered by the presence of unwanted particles in the respiratory tract. Coughing can be a voluntary or an involuntary action. Phlegm is a sticky, slimy secretion, produced to get rid of the foreign body. Phlegm, also called post nasal drip, is a manifestation of cold, sinusitis, and pneumonia, which leads to excessive mucus in throat. All of us have suffered from phlegm, which may be as a result of common cold, bronchitis, or an infection. Chronic cough and phlegm should not be neglected, as it can be a result of a serious lung condition. As a matter of fact, cough with phlegm is better than persistent cough with no secretion, as accumulation of phlegm can lead to chest infection or other health complications.
Diagnosis Checking the FEV1/FVC proportion will be one of the major diagnostic procedures. FEV1 is defined as the amount of air that a person's lungs can blow out in one second, whereas FVC is the value that indicates the entire atmosphere a person's lungs can blow after full respiration. These kinds of ratios are higher in people affected by this medical condition. The total capacity as well as left over volume can also be checked. The patient diagnosed with this disorder shows a general decline in the conventional values of residual quantity and also total volume. It is necessary for the total capacity to be less than 80% of the normal value in order to ensure the disorder in the patient. Aside from pulmonary function screening, diagnostic procedures such as chest X-rays, CT scan, pulse oximetry, or bronchoscopy could be conducted.
- Dry or wet cough is not a disease but a symptom of some other medical conditions that might affect the body.
- It may interfere with sleep, and daily functioning of the affected person.
- In most cases, a dry cough (also known as a non-productive cough) usually worsens at night.
- Help your child do a salt water gargle.
- To make the solution, simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in a glass of lukewarm water, and stir.
- Note: Salt water gargle is most suitable for kids aged 4 and above.
The problem of accumulation of fluid inside the lungs is detected with the help of chest X-ray. If it is diagnosed at an early stage, then it can be treated with the help of oral medicines. Doctors identify the underlying cause of fluid leakage and prescribe suitable medicines to treat that particular condition. However, in case, there is an excessive fluid build up within the lungs, the patient need emergency medical treatment where he or she is first put on a mechanical ventilator in order to restore supply of oxygen into the bloodstream. It is accompanied by administration of medicines to improve the heart function and removal of fluid from the lungs.
Though not very reliable, the phlegm color meaning helps in quick identification of the underlying reason for wet cough. While yellow or green mucus denotes infection in the respiratory tract or lungs, gray or brown phlegm is due to inhalation of dust, fumes, tar, and similar pollutants. Also, the consistency of the expectorate is checked in sputum examination to confirm the causes. If required, the doctor will suggest chest X-ray, blood tests, and other diagnostic tests to rule out severe diseases.
Prevention is better than cure and this motto is especially true for influenza. Clean and hygienic environment and personal habits are the most important steps in preventing the flu. To reduce the infection risk even further, vaccination for children and adults is recommended. Bronchitis in the acute form is not dangerous and needs to run its course. To prevent chronic bronchitis, avoid smoking and air pollutants. In the matter of flu vs bronchitis, one aspect is clear - keep clean and at the first sign of trouble, visit a doctor.
Really really bad wet Cough
- Treatment It is necessary, that the cause of wet cough is detected to rule out any serious medical condition.
- The methods used to diagnose the condition include chest X-rays, sputum analysis, and blood tests.
Poor physical health is not the only reason behind occurrence of this cold sensation that causes shivering without fever. People suffering from emotional problems like anxiety disorders (panic attacks) could get this sudden cold feeling from time to time. Visible shivering is often considered as a body's natural response to fear resulting from anxious thoughts. Nervousness, dry mouth and a reduction in body temperature also accompany during anxiety disorders.
Coughing and other such withdrawal symptoms can cause a lot of inconvenience to the individual and force him to relapse. These problems generally begin a day or two after he stops smoking and continue for 2 - 3 weeks. The fact that many people relapse during the first two weeks shows that coughing is one of the most severe nicotine withdrawal symptoms of the lot, such that despite being aware of these immediate effects, quitting is not easy.
To sum up the difference between bronchitis and flu, here is a tabular comparison of the basic facts: Name\ Feature Flu Bronchitis Body Areas Affected Nose, throat and lungs Lungs Chemical Make-up RNA viruses Viruses and bacteria Who Is At Risk Elderly, infants, pregnant women, kidney, heart or lung disease victims Infants, seniors and smokers Types Influenza Type A, B, C Chronic and acute Duration days Acute - 1 week to a month, Chronic - 2-3 months in a year Complications Pneumonia, brain infection, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections Pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension.
Almost all of us have experienced productive cough, which may be because of a common cold, bronchitis, or other respiratory tract infections. Coughing up phlegm is rather a good sign, as accumulation of the same can lead to chest infections and other medical complications. Nevertheless, a chronic cough condition with phlegm that is discolored (yellow, rusty-brown, green, etc.) should not be neglected, as it can be a symptom of some serious lung ailments.
Remedies for Bronchial CoughBronovil Cough Relief Package includes soothing homeopathic drops, and herbal supplement, formulated to help target the source of upper respiratory inflamation. Bronovil's ingredients have been used safely for hundreds of years to support healthy lungs and respiratory system, helping in reducing inflammation and cough and support respiratory health. Decreasing inflammation and supporting healing has been shown to ease the pain and flare-ups associated with upper respiratory infections.
Click Here to Purchase »
Prognosis The most obvious symptom of this condition is trouble while breathing, when exerting oneself. But such a symptom does not alarm the individual, because he might feel he is not used to the exercise or just inactive. When breathing becomes difficult in simple, less strenuous activities, like walking or, even while sitting still or sleeping, that's when an individual realizes that something is wrong. The first step in diagnosing, is a physical examination. Standard tests are chest x-rays and a high resolution computerized tomography (HRCT). This lung condition is varied in type and each case has unique causes, so misdiagnoses can be made. The most accurate and final step in testing, is a lung biopsy, which carries out an extensive tissue sample analysis.
Other than these remedies, certain lifestyle and dietary changes are also advisable. Avoid consuming tobacco and excess of caffeine. So, cut down on your smoking, and make sure that you get enough exercise. Make it a point to go for a walk early in the morning. The fresh air will really make a big difference to your health. Take extra care during seasons when your symptoms worsen. These home remedies will make your immune system stronger and reduce the recurrent bouts of bronchitis.
When we all eat food, it passes in the throat, through a tube referred to as the esophagus and also into the stomach where it is digested. Prior to it penetrates the stomach though, it has to pass through a small opening between the belly and the esophagus. This gap closes as soon as the food passes into the stomach. If this gap doesn't close fast enough, the particular acids from the stomach can travel into the esophagus and result in acid reflux. Along with leading to bloating and burning in the stomach and upper body, it can also lead to coughing with acrid belching.
- Paste of honey and ginger is equally beneficial in reducing dry cough.
- Simply grind some freshly-cut cloves of ginger and mix it with honey, and administer three times a day.
- Lobelia Lobelia is the Indian tobacco, which is a highly toxic herb.
- Therefore, it is always recommended in very small doses.
- It is used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and severe coughing.
Apart from dextromethorphan, some physicians can recommend Sudafed for treating cough during pregnancy. The active ingredients of this cough medication are, pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine, which are decongestants. These two ingredients can affect the supply of blood to the placenta, if used frequently. Generally, pregnant women are advised to avoid these two decongestants, or the medications that contain them for the first 13 weeks of pregnancy to avoid any possible risk to the developing fetus. The risk of birth defects associated with the use of pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine during pregnancy is quite low, but it could be higher for women who smoke.
Home Remedies Remember, even after you have determined the cause, and your cough persists despite making use of the above-mentioned home remedies, it is recommended that you visit a doctor for further treatment.
Dextromethorphan is Considered Safe to be Used During Pregnancy
However, one animal study has found dextromethorphan to cause birth defects in chick embryos. But this study is not considered very reliable, and hence dextromethorphan is usually considered safe for pregnant women. But pregnancy is the period where one needs to maintain a lot of precautions, and so, pregnant women should use the drugs that contain dextromethorphan only after consulting their physicians.
Infant Bronchitis Bronchitis is a respiratory disorder in which the air passages (bronchi) that connect the actual windpipe with the lungs get painful. The inflammation, producing because of an infection (viral or bacterial) disrupts normal airflow within the lungs....
- To stop a sinus cough, you must strictly avoid all those allergens that can increase coughing.
- Smokers should stop smoking.
- Non-smokers should avoid exposure to secondhand smoking.
- There are some foods that increase mucus production.
- They are caffeine, desserts, dairy products, fatty foods, etc.
- When you are suffering from sinus cough, you must either stop eating all these substances or at least minimize their intake until the cough subsides.
- The worst part of a sinus cough is that it worsens at night as the post nasal drip drains at the back of the mouth when you lie done.
- Coughing at night can be controlled by elevating the head with a few extra pillows.
- Drink a lot of Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Be it soups, herbal teas, or plain warm water.
- Drinking lots of fluids will thin the mucus and make coughing up white mucus easier, also it will decrease the span of infection.
Case of chronic conditions, wherein cough with phlegm do not show prompt results with the above mentioned natural remedies, it is imperative to take medical help, rather than resorting to self medication. After conducting diagnostic tests, the physician will prescribe therapeutic drugs appropriate for patient's condition.
- There are high chances of kennel cough being contagious to people who are in close contact with the infected pet.
- On the other hand, people with a weakened immune system, like babies, children or old people are at a higher risk of contracting the disease.
- Coughing is the body's natural way of getting rid of foreign substances from the throat and respiratory tract.
- Given that, an occasional cough is normal and means no harm.
- However, a cough that stays for several weeks, does signal something severe.
- A dry cough, also known as nonproductive cough, does not produce any phlegm unlike a wet cough or productive cough.
- In most children, a dry cough is usually minor and relatively easy to treat.
- In some cases, however, it may be otherwise.
Case of severe cough, you should have plenty of water and orange juice, until the symptoms are reduced. In addition to this juice fast, you should adopt an all-fruit diet for about 2-3 days. Follow a balanced diet that includes raw or lightly cooked vegetables, fresh fruits, and whole-grain cereals. Avoid consumption of meats, pickles, condiments, processed foods, sugar, coffee, tea, soft drinks, and all products that are prepared from sugar and white flour.
- Teach your child the proper way to gargle.
- Even better, help him/her practice with plain water first.
- Remember to tell your child not to swallow the saline solution but to spit it out, after gargling with it.
Influenza The symptoms of influenza and the common cold are similar, however the two diseases are not the same, with different effects on the body. It is caused by viruses made up of RNA (Ribonucleic acid), as opposed to the rhinoviruses and coronaviruses of the common cold. Influenza is not meant to be taken lightly. Its virus form and family can cause serious harm, in a short infection period. It kills between 3,300 - 50,000 people per year. Flu is extremely contagious in nature, as the viruses adapt and evolve into new strains on infection. The best example of this adaptation is swine flu, where the virus family combined from 3 different species (human, bird and pig), to create a deadly influenza strain. The range of contagion is anyone within 6 feet can pick up the flu from an infected person. This characteristic of influenza can cause epidemics and on a world-wide scale, cause a pandemic.
Gargling Three to Four Times a Day is Recommended
If your child has a stuffy nose along with a dry cough, then help him/her sleep with the head slightly elevated. For this, you can use pillows or towels. This will help your child breathe more comfortably and sleep better.
There could be other symptoms together with those mentioned above. Choking or gagging is a manifestation of this condition, and if it lasts for more than two minutes, after that it is a sign of danger. Sweaty pores and skin or change in color of skin are usually some other symptoms which may be observed. A blue tinge on the lips or perhaps a pale-bluish coloring on face is actually a crucial symptom. This is an indication of lack of oxygen in the blood. In some cases, toddlers lose their consciousness.
Causes of Productive Cough
The underlying causes of productive cough may be mild to severe. For example, chesty cough resulted due to common cold is easily treatable; whereas those caused due to emphysema or other chronic lung problems are life-threatening. Frequent exposure (or inhalation) to chemical irritants, smokes, fumes, environmental pollutants, and alike allergens may also trigger cough with phlegm. In most patients, productive cough is commonly manifested in the morning.
- Fenugreek Fenugreek seeds are rich in mucilage, lipids, and protease inhibitors, and is used to treat sore throat.
- It also helps to remove mucus and phlegm from the air passages.
- Food allergies are not very well-known in causing chest congestion; however, their impact is eminent in nature.
- Increased levels of histamine in the lungs causes the individual to succumb to this trouble.
- As histamine is produced in the lungs, the soft tissue become inflamed; thereby, restricting the airways.
- Known to be a chemical in the body, histamine protects the body from infection; however, it can cause inflammation.
- When you ingest the food item you are allergic to, the immune system reacts to the proteins in that food, treating them as harmful.
- The body reacts by creating Immunoglobulin E (IgE) -- antibodies that defend it.
- The production of IgE antibodies causes cells in the lungs to produce histamine.
- There are some people who are allergic to milk and other dairy products.
- They cause allergic asthma in an individual.
Wet cough could be the frustrating state that makes your ribs, back and arms harm. The tonsils is sore and all the people you will be bothered by the continual noise. It is a respiratory infection and ordinarily starts off as a dry cough, and then graduates to the "wet cough" stage. There can be several reasons for this cough to occur and the treatment is dependent upon these factors.
Other conditions associated with a nocturnal dry cough or a dry cough that aggravates at night include: Self-Care Measures Treatment of dry cough depends on its underlying cause. That is why, it is crucial to determine what is causing the cough, and take appropriate measures for treating it. Apart from following a doctor's advice, the following self-care measures can be taken to reduce discomfort and manage the symptoms.
This is a side effect which has now become a common symptom of expectorants not suiting you. You may suffer from sleeplessness or temporary insomnia, due to which you are drowsy and sleepy during the rest of the day. It is however, necessary that a suppressant be prescribed for the nighttime so that the individual may have a peaceful sleep, as he is not disturbed by the constant spasmodic coughing.
- Marshmallow Marshmallow roots and leaves contain a gummy substance called mucilage.
- It is mixed with water to form a gel, which may be applied to the throat to reduce irritation.
Cough, whether dry or wet, can take a lot out of your child's body. Although, you may not always prevent the condition from affecting your child, you can surely reduce the risks. One of the simple ways of doing it is by maintaining personal hygiene, and helping your kids learn to do the same.
- As it is an airborne disease, cats can also get infected with kennel cough.
- Although cats do not show symptoms like cough, they can have a runny nose and fever.
Treatment Regarding Smooth in Lungs and Heart Failure
In recent years, far better medicines have been made available to take care of fluid filled lungs. Antibiotics help get rid of the infection. Improved quality of pacemakers and implantable defibrillators help improve the function of the heart and lungs. Diuretics are usually prescribed as they help reduce the fluid in lungs. Some drugs improve the pumping capacity of the heart. Surgery can repair blockage of the coronary arteries, a valve issue, a congenital heart defect, or even a too thick pericardium. The possibility of heart transplant is available if the heart's ability to pump blood is once and for all marred. Quick supply of oxygen or manmade ventilation is a part of the emergency therapy. The treatment should be so designed that the fluid shouldn't again get accumulated in the lungs.
Popular Home Remedy to Manage Cough is Chewing Ginger
Every night before going to bed, put a small piece of freshly cut ginger in your mouth, and chew it slowly and swallow the juice. Also, you can prepare a paste of ginger and honey, and use it whenever needed.
Whenever preschoolers swallow water unintentionally, they will start coughing as if in order to throw up the water. If this coughing lasts for a longer time than usual, say up to half an hour, it is possible that the absorbed water has attained the lungs. Parents should watch out if any other connected signs turns up along with this. One other thing to be noted is that they also cry a lot and rub their eyes frequently if water is consumed.
Damion is a leading content curator at palyamotorozas.com, a site about health tips. Last year, Damion worked as a manager for a well-known high tech web site. When he's not reading new content, Damion enjoys singing and shopping.