Bronchitis Contagis: Cough and Fever
Cough can be of different types like dry, mucus-producing, persistent, whooping, 'barky', wheezing, etc. Describing the exact type of cough can help in diagnosing the underlying cause quickly.
Lifestyle Choices: Weighty smokers may well find themselves spitting out there phlegm which is rusty-brown in color. Those who have recently quit smoking may also spit out there dark brown or black mucus. It is normal for the body to expel tars and toxins that would have accumulated as a result of smoking cigarettes. Alcohol has a drying out relation to the walls which is why the membranes commence creating greater amounts of mucous in order to undo it's effect. While smoking cigarettes and extreme consumption of alcohol are poor lifestyle choices that may cause excessive phlegm, intake of muck deep-fried foodstuffs or food items one may be allergic to can also lead to the accumulation of mucus at the back of throat. Acid reflux disease may possibly also cause phlegm. This is a condition wherein gastric juices from the stomach back up towards the esophagus. Any time larger amounts of saliva, gastric fruit juices or mucus accumulates, it may give rise to phlegm in tonsils. Thus, people suffering from acid reflux may also need to spit out mucus more frequently.
- Strep Throat (Streptococcal pharyngitis) - It is a bacterial infection in the throat.
- Symptoms include high-grade fever, severe throat pain, dry cough, white or red spots on the back of the throat.
In today's times, the deteriorating quality of air due to the release of gas and toxic chemicals into the atmosphere also increases the risk of bronchitis, in both children and adults. Industrial dusts and emission of smoke from vehicles are the ones that actually pollute the air. Inhaling this polluted air, which is common in developing and developed countries, can inflame the bronchial tubes, eventually causing respiratory problems like bronchitis.
- All the lung diseases are differentiated according to the categories given in the previous section.
- Some of the diseases even carry symptoms or problems of more than one category.
- Following is the list of major lung diseases.
- The list may not be complete, but we have tried to bring most of the major diseases into your knowledge.
- Apart readily available options of treatment, you can also take the help of several home-based cures to be able to ease the condition.
- Drinking water in adequate amounts helps you to dilute the mucus, which then helps the body to clear it easily.
- Apart from this kind of, you should use vaporizer while sleeping to be able to humidify the lungs.
When you hear the definition of walking pneumonia, first thing that seems to come to your brain is extended and tiring times that need to be spent in a hospital. This is because, pneumonia is a serious, often life-threatening lung problem, that requires instant treatment and also hospitalization, especially when it affects those people with weak immune system, just like the elderly and also infants.
Are the symptoms worsening after every passing day? Treatment You should consult the doctor and get the underlying cause diagnosed immediately. Prescription medications, cough syrup, etc., help in treating cough in minor cases. In case, if you suffer from any of the aforementioned disorder, the doctor will prescribe the related treatment method. Staying away from allergens, airborne pollutants, etc., can help in treating chronic cough. Over-the-counter cough medications should not be given to babies and children without consulting the doctor. Several home remedies are also effective for treating cough and mild fever.
- Cancerous Lesion: One needs to do regular checkups to keep an eye if any lesion is formed on the ribs.
- The lesion, if cancerous, can make the bones weak and result in breakage of that bone.
- Meningitis - It is the inflammation of the membranes (meninges) that cover the brain and the spinal cord.
- High fever, severe headache, stiff neck, seizures, confusion, etc., are the common symptoms.
- Coughing and other flu-like signs are the lesser known symptoms.
- Severe Coughing: Another cause of broken ribs is severe and prolonged coughing, which can cause extended pressure on the rib cage.
- Especially, if a person has pneumonia or bronchitis, then severe coughs can lead to broken ribs.
Sometimes, the doctor may try to reach the clot with the help of a catheter. The catheter is a flexible tube inserted into the upper thigh (groin) or arm through a vein to allow access to the bloodstream for treatment of the clot in the lung. Through the catheter the doctor can either extract the clot or inject medicine to dissolve the clot. Very rarely is surgery opted for, to remove the clot. Only patients suffering from recurrent embolism require to undergo surgery.
- Laryngitis - It is the inflammation of the larynx or the voice box, leading to irritation of the vocal cords.
- Voice becoming hoarse, loss of voice, sore throat, cough, mild fever, swollen lymph nodes in the throat, etc., are the symptoms of laryngitis.
Fungal Infection in Lungs: an Overview
The fungal species that could cause infection in lungs are usually fundamentally unavoidable as they exist just about everywhere, even in the food. Usually, they make it to our lungs when we inhale their spores, but then, the infection can also spread coming from other parts of the body to the lungs through our blood stream. In normal circumstances, the immune system attacks and destroys these invaders as soon as they get into our body, even before they trigger any damage. In some individuals, nonetheless, the immune system is compromised due to some or the other purpose, and therefore their body struggles to fight this particular an infection. Once inside of, the fungi keep growing by deriving nutrition from the body itself.
To avoid digestive/circulatory system problems, you should try to maintain your weight within the normal range for your height. You should control high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes with the help of balanced diet, exercises and prescribed medications. Those diagnosed with asthma should stay away from very cold air, excessive exercise, exposure to allergens and infections. Cigarette smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol affect the health of the lungs and heart.
So, you should quit smoking and stop alcohol abuse too. A healthy diet low in saturated and hydrogenated fats helps keep away diseases and disorders. A cholesterol-free diet that is high in starches (complex carbohydrates) and fiber (fruits and vegetables) helps maintain the health of the heart. The doctor may prescribe antianxiety medication but you should learn some stress-relieving techniques like yoga and meditation; because they help manage the stress. Regular exercise and certain breathing exercises like pranayama help improve the health of your heart and lungs. They ensure maximum supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
It can be an anti-inflammatory medication or a steroid in which is only able to stop asthma attacks and is not useful in treating an asthma attack that has already begun. If you are allergic to virtually any medicine or if you have conditions, such as osteoporosis, liver disease, tuberculosis, herpes simplex eye infection or any bacterial, viral, or candica infection ought to be informed to the doctor. A standard brand with regard to this medication is Pulmicort Flexhaler and also Pulmicort Respules.
- Complications Taking proper care is most important if one has been diagnosed with a broken rib as it can go further with many complications.
- Some of them are mentioned below:
What are all the things that cause bronchitis
Bronchitis causes, symptoms and treatments medical news today . , . . . . Causes of acute bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is normally caused by viruses, typically ...
- Everyone knows that smoking is an unhealthy habit, but taking a decision to quit smoking is certainly not an easy one for habitual smokers.
- The first step involves mustering up the strength or will power to make the decision to quit smoking.
- One needs to understand that risks of smoking outweigh the satisfaction or pleasure associated with smoking.
- Those who quit smoking would certainly be doing themselves a great favor.
- This is your chance to prevent the accumulation of harmful toxins and thus, lower the risks of serious health problems.
- One, however, must be ready to experience smoking withdrawal symptoms for some time.
- Most people complain about coughing up black mucus after quitting smoking.
- Wondering what does this signify?
- Scroll down to find out why one may be coughing up mucus after quitting smoking.
- Pneumonia Pneumonia, a common bacterial infection, can also cause bronchitis.
- Difficulty in breathing, chest discomfort, coughing and high fever, are commonly associated with pneumonia.
- Although the bacteria invades the lungs in pneumonia, the bronchial tubes may also show signs of inflammation.
- The reason being, the proliferation of bacteria in pneumonia can also affect the bronchial tubes, leading to bronchitis.
- Small or a partial collapse occurs when a small amount of air collects between the lungs and the chest wall.
- This might not be a medical emergency, but the dip in the levels of oxygen in the blood is most likely to give rise to shortness of breath.
- The symptoms are severe when a large amount of air collects in the pleural space, thereby putting a lot of pressure on the lungs and the heart.
- Under such circumstances, the affected individual is likely to experience symptoms such as:
- This problem is due to the inflammation of the lungs as a result of infections caused by microorganisms, fungi, and trojans.
- Exposure to certain chemicals as well as food poisoning can also trigger off a lung infection.
- Influenza (Flu) - It is a viral infection, severe than common cold.
- Dry cough, fever, sore throat, body ache, headache, etc., are the identifying symptoms.
- Unlike the serious form of pneumonia, strolling pneumonia, also known as atypical pneumonia, will be a light variation of pneumonia.
- We shall have a closer look at the signs and symptoms that are related to walking pneumonia, to comprehend it better.
Symptoms of Fluid in Lungs Pulmonary edema refers to a medical condition in which fluid is pushed into alveolar sacs, which are tiny air sacs in the lungs where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs. As a result of the accumulation of smooth inside the lungs, one s...
While some medication can prove fatal, some others can be consumed safely during pregnancy. The best method is to prevent diseases during pregnancy, by taking precautionary measures. However, there are some common conditions, like cough and cold, which can affect any pregnant woman. A basic understanding about safe medicines may prove helpful in such situations.
- What to Look For What is the type of cough?
- Is it dry, mucus-producing, 'barky', persistent, hacking?
- Does the cough occur throughout the day, or only at night?
How to Treat Pulmonary Embolism?
Diagnosis It is not easy to diagnose pulmonary embolism, because the symptoms are not specific enough. There are blood tests that can help understand if a person is prone to DVT or PE, however, it does not detect a clot. Moreover, a regular X-ray will not spot the clot. The Duplex Doppler ultrasound method is used to check the rate of blood flow in the veins of the legs and also to identify blood clots in lungs.
Medicines that are being used for the treatment of nose cough have side effects. For instance, many of them have sedative qualities and can't be taken at traditional. When decongestant sinus sprays are taken for more than three days, it does not show enough results. For all these side effects, many people opt for home remedies. A few of options because follows:
Herbal Tea If you don't find relief, sip on a cup of any herbal tea you like (such as green tea) that has been flavored with a good amount of ginger, a pinch of black/cayenne pepper, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of honey, one or two fresh basil leaves, and a dash of lemon juice. These are all ingredients that have the ability to treat a cough, and when used in combination, are bound to be effective in stopping the coughing fit.
Possible Causes and Accompanying Symptoms
Allergy - An allergy is an adverse reaction by the immune system to a substance. The symptoms differ according to the type of allergy. Fever, cough, sore throat, skin rash, irritation, etc., are some of the common symptoms of airborne allergies and hay fever.
Nasal Irrigation: You need a neti pot for nasal irrigation. Top off the neti pot with lukewarm water and half a teaspoon of salt. Tilt your head on one side and bring the spout of the neti pot near one nose. Put the saline solution slowly in to the nose as you keep the other nostril closed with one of your fingers. Then spit out the water as it grows to the back of the neck. This will clear up the nose drainage from the nasal passage as well as the neck.
Lungs are paired organs that are located under the rib cage, on either side of the chest. They play a very important role in the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. They are lined by a protective two-layered serous membrane called pleura. While the inner membrane is attached to the lungs, the outer one is attached to the chest wall. The space between these two layers is called pleural space. It is filled with a fluid. As the lungs inflate and deflate during the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide, the fluid within these membranes helps these two layers slide over each other.
- When the lungs inflate or expand by increasing the size of the chest cavity, it results in a negative (vacuum) pressure in the pleural space.
- If air gets collected within the pleural space, it causes pressure to build up over the lungs.
- If the pressure in the pleural space is equal to the pressure outside the body, the lungs collapse as they are unable to expand during inhalation.
- This condition is medically referred to as pneumothorax.
Intake of certain medicines can cause nasty side effects that includes coughing at night. ACE inhibitors prescribed for high blood pressure patients are notorious for causing dry cough at night. Reducing the dosage can be beneficial to relieve cough.
- Ice Packs: One can make use of ice packs or frozen peas wrapped in a cloth to reduce the pain and swelling.
- Keep the ice pack on the injured rib for 15 minutes once or twice a day, so that the swelling will lessen.
- The cough accompanied with fever (mild, severe, high fever)?
- Are cough and fever accompanied with other symptoms like vomiting, nausea, difficulty in breathing, etc.?
Simple Home Remedy
Coughing at night can be indeed annoying, but an easy way to stop it would be to use Vicks VapoRub (Grease-less). A small of bottle of Vicks VapoRub is not at all costly, and is available at various drugstores. Firstly, soak a cloth in warm water and then use it to clean the bottom of the feet. Take some amount of VapoRub from the bottle and apply it evenly to the soles of the patient's feet. Applying it in excessive amounts will make it wet and cause discomfort to the patient. After applying it carefully, ask the patient to wear thick woolen socks.
- Sinusitis - It is the inflammation of the sinuses due to allergy or infection.
- Thick discharge from nose, nasal congestion, severe cough at night, fever, headache, fatigue, etc., are the common symptoms of sinusitis.
Home Remedies for Cough
There are plenty of remedies that can cure this debilitating condition. Let's have a look at some of them. Take a vaporizer and add 10 to 14 drops of thyme oil in it. Breathe in the steam from the vaporizer. The steam will help soothe the inflamed airways and even help clear the sinus congestion. This will in turn help clear the phlegm in your throat and lungs.
Pneumonia: A broken rib causes difficulty in breathing, sneezing, as well as coughing. It is very necessary to take care as it can lead to a chest infection -- mostly pneumonia. One should take deep breaths every hour, and coughing should not be stopped unless it becomes tough for you as it is a way to throw out infections.
- Remedy # 3 - Gargling with Salt Water Gargling with salt water is one of the most effective home remedies for curing a dry cough and sore throat.
- Take a glass of water and heat it to a temperature that is comfortable enough for you to take into the mouth without burning yourself.
- To this water, add 2 tsp of salt and stir well.
- If the water is too hot, you can add some room temperature water to balance the temperature out.
- Take a swig of the water, look towards the ceiling and start gargling.
- You'll feel the heat spread down to your throat.
- This works in two ways - The salt will destroy the bacterial growth and the hot water will treat the inflammation and scratchiness in the throat.
- One can also mix turmeric in the water and use that solution for gargling.
- Turmeric has medicinal properties that destroy the infection and lead to relief.
SymptomsThe recovery period depends on the severity of the infection, and the severity of this condition depends on the cause of it. Pneumonia can be brought on either by bacterial infection or by viral infection, and also both varieties typically display practically similar features and symptoms. The following are the generally observed symptoms of pneumonia. TreatmentThe precise treatment depends on the type and severity of the situation, and may require hospitalization as well. The most popular method for treating pneumonia usually consists of the following options. Although starting therapy, it is advisable to practice good hygiene, stick to a healthy diet, make sure total rest, as well as stay away from alcohol consumption and smoking (active and passive).
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
This is a condition that causes chronic cough in the morning in many people. The eruption of acid reflux comes fairly unexpectedly, and there are not many signs that point towards its emergence. But once it arrives, it is hard to chase away, and constantly causes a morning cough. Due to this disease, also known to cause heartburn, the various stomach acids regurgitate into the esophagus. This results in extreme irritation in the throat, and many cases of morning cough are traced back to the presence of this condition. It is a fairly difficult condition to diagnose though, as coughing can be a symptom of many diseases.
Walking pneumonia can occur at any time during the year, and will spread from one person to another through respiratory secretions, coughs and sneezes. Although the signs and symptoms of walking pneumonia are slight, it is best to check with a doctor, for infected person is contagious for around 20 days, during which he or she can pass on the infection via contact with cough droplets.
Allergies and Infections
Some people are allergic to certain foods and experience chronic coughs after ingesting those particular food products. This is one of the reasons people experience coughing after having ice cream or other cold food products, spicy, or greasy food. The body is probably not used to the cold or the spiciness hence, it evokes an immune response that results in coughing as soon as you eat. Certain other types of allergies and infections can also cause you to cough after eating. Any infectious disease related to the larynx and esophagus, can lead to a temporary dysfunction of that organ thus causing trouble swallowing food and drink that ultimately leads to choking. This situation can result in a chronic cough after eating any kind of food, irrespective of it being spicy or bland.
The treatment training course includes a combination of a lot of rest, intake of fluids, and antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, azithromycin, and tetracycline. Medicines aid in stalling the spread of the disease, as long as they have been started out early in the course of the illness. Young kids with weaker immune systems are more susceptible to being infected with the contagious bacteria.
Damion is a lead writer at zoejo.com, a site about health, lifestyle and fitness. Previously, Damion worked as a advertising guru at a well-known tech software web site. When he's not scouting for new content, Damion enjoys skydiving and rock climbing.