Nursing Diagnosis For Bronchial Asthma: Coughing After Eating
Coughing is caused due to sudden irritation in the air passage or as a reflex action for any nervous or a gastric disorder. A normal cough will make itself appear upon the production of phlegm, where, the body will involuntarily try to cough up the phlegm. People may also suffer from cough after eating ice cream or after eating and drinking other cold food products. However, if it happens to be of a chronic nature then this is something that has to be examined without delay.
Bronchiolitis Bronchiolitis is a pathogenic infection that commonly has an effect on children, however, premature infants are definitely at a greater risk of developing this respiratory situation. Infections are causative agents for bronchiolitis, and more often than not, it is the respiratory synctial virus that is responsible for causing this respiratory condition. Trojans that have the effect of causing influenza could also cause bronchiolitis. The viruses can become air-borne when an contaminated person sneezes or coughs, and also the virus can be transmitted to those who are in proximity to the infected individuals.
Since the immune system of newborns has not developed completely, the symptoms can be quite extreme. For the same reason, children who have not been breastfed are at a greater risk of developing severe symptoms. The signs and symptoms are usually moderate in the onset, within a couple of days, the child may develop nasal congestion, severe cough, coughing or fever. Nasal flaring and retraction of intercostal muscles may also take place as a result of labored breathing. In severe instances, the child may suffer from respiratory distress and the skin may turn bluish due to lack of oxygen. Under such situations, child may require supplemental oxygen. Inhaled antiviral drugs may also be recommended for managing the viral infection. It is believed that children who suffer from bronchiolitis may well develop asthma in future.
(Body Mass Index)
O (airway obstruction) D (severity of dyspnea) E (exercise tolerance)Different methods are used to measure these four factors. While a BMI chart will be enough to find out the body mass index of a person, blockage of airways can be calculated using spirometry, which provides the FEV1 value. Severity of dyspnea (shortness of breath) is measured as per the MMRC Dyspnea Scale, which gives five levels (0 to 4) on the basis of physical activities that can produce breathlessness. Exercise tolerance is often measured by the 6-minute walk test. The BODE index score can be calculated using the values of these four guidelines. Increased BODE scores will often be linked to higher risk of passing away.
- Take Rest: It is very necessary to take ample rest and give the broken ribs some time to heal.
- One should avoid any physical activities which may cause pain and lead to complications.
- Generally, it takes 4-6 weeks to recover, varying with severity of the injury.
- Complete rest can help in speedy recovery.
Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis is an example of bacterial infection that could cause serious damage to lungs. This disease has been wiped out from the rich as well as developed nations, but it still kills several people in the poor countries. Cough, green or blood stained sputum, and breathing problems are a couple of the common signs and symptoms. The condition leads to weight loss, poor muscle tone, and dry flaky skin. Sufferers are required to take medicines over months or years. Those that accompany the patients will also be handled in order to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Tenderness: Another very common symptom is tenderness.
- A lot of discomfort or pain is observed while touching the injured area.
- It becomes red and very sensitive.
- This tenderness usually worsens with movement or activity.
- Basil This herb has antibacterial and antiviral properties, that help soothe an inflamed throat .
- A cup of basil-infused herbal tea is recommended to help clear the mucus from the nose.
- However, this herb is not advisable for pregnant women.
Tension: This leads to complete lung collapse, i.e., both the lungs can collapse. Midair trapped outside the lung is not able to get away, and hence, the amount of the air collected goes on increasing with every breath. This is a rare condition that builds extreme pressure in the chest and may cause surprise, reduced blood pressure, and if it gets more severe and is not treated soon, it could cause death.
Fennel Tea Made from fennel seeds, this drink can be an excellent home remedy in order to cure a sore throat and cough, both dry as well as productive. Drinking or gargling together with a cup of fennel tea helps get rid of the irritation in the throat. It assists to bring down the cough and soothes chest pain which occurs because of ongoing coughing and clearing of the throat. The fennel seeds are seeped in hot water, in addition to cardamom and coriander seeds for extra flavor. It is sweetened with maple syrup, and can be had at regular intervals.
Symptoms Besides being aware of the symptoms, it is essential, especially in children, to monitor and check for them. The symptoms mentioned below are the classic signs of dry drowning and should never be ignored, especially if your child had been near water, has had a near-drowning experience, or has excessively played in water. Though commonly mistaken for symptoms of other maladies, or put down to just plain fatigue, the following, if ignored, can prove fatal for your child.
Broken rib is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks. Ribs are pretty hard to break as they are surrounded by strong muscles and can usually take on a lot of damage before they crack; however, when there is trauma to the chest, such as from a fall, motor vehicle accident, or an impact during contact sports, it can break the ribs. Usually, broken ribs are more common in elderly people than in younger adults. It is not always easy to identify a broken rib, and hence it is important to understand the following information related to the condition in question.
- SolutionAvoid overeating, maintain a proper schedule regarding eating, avoid eating hot and greasy foods and quit smoking.
- All these can help prevent acid reflux.
- For instant alleviation though, utilize antacids.
Smoking is one of the primary reasons for causing chronic cough (lasting for more than 8 weeks) with or without mucus secretion. So, to treat coughing, one should quit the habit of smoking as early as possible. According to a study, smoking cessation has helped more than 90 percent of smokers in getting relief from cough within a month.
What You can Do
Using humidifiers is an effective way to be able to fight the symptoms of a lung an infection. Warm, misty air emitted by the humidifier helps in loosening the sputum, thereby helping the body cope with the infection far better.
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Nursing Interventions Management Treatment NCLEX Part 2
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) nursing management with interventions and treatment with medications. This NCLEX lecture on COPD with ...
- Abnormal high pitched whistling sounds are usually a sign of respiratory disorders.
- People who suffer from recurrent bouts of wheezing must therefore get themselves medically examined at the earliest.
- Mullein Mullein constitutes coumarin and hesperidin, that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, bactericidal, and fungicidal properties.
- It has been used as an alternative medicine to cure respiratory problems.
An important thing to be borne in mind, is that expectorants should be consumed preferably when they have been prescribed by the physician in the recommended dosage, especially when the drugs have to be administered to children. Guaifenesin should not be prescribed for children who are under 2 years of age. If however, they have to be administered, it is best that a physician be consulted. However, guaifenesin may be taken safely when pregnant, the same conditions of consultation applies here as well.
Types of Fungal Lung Infection
Pulmonary aspergilloma affects the open spaces in the body. They occupy the space or cavities in the lungs created by the preexisting lung disorder. In some cases, the infection may also spread to the ear canals and sinuses. The infection often resembles a tangled mass, which consists of fungus fiber, white blood cells and blood clots. When the condition is not treated, it is seen, that the ball grows in size and destroys the lung tissue.
- Difficulty in Breathing: Besides, the area being painful while breathing, another cracked rib symptom is difficulty in breathing.
- One may feel uncomfortable due to lack of sufficient air for breathing.
- For instance, you might experience headache, dizziness, anxiety, or sleepiness.
- It is very important to get medical help immediately, if you experience this symptom.
- Tonsillitis - It is the inflammation of the tonsils caused due to virus or bacteria.
- Symptoms of this condition include high fever, cough, sore throat, chills, headache, tiredness, etc.
Trauma: Broken ribs can occur by any kind of trauma caused to the chest, such as a fall, or a blow during contact sports. Besides these, getting hit in the chest, falling on something and hitting the chest, or smashing the chest into a steering wheel or dashboard during a car accident could certainly lead to broken ribs.
Structure of Ribs
The human body has twelve pairs of ribs; ten pairs attached to the spine and wrapped around to attach to the sternum in front of the chest, and the two lower pairs that are only attached to the spine in the back. The ribs serve to protect the internal organs, lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, and spleen from injury. The bones have a lot of nerve endings, so when damage occurs, pain is significant.
Other Noted Symptoms Signs of lung infection in which call for a doctor's consideration are as follows:
- Causes Some people are at a higher risk due to their lifestyle or bone health.
- For example, people who play contact sports and elderly people are always at a greater risk than others.
- The following are a few causes of broken ribs.
Turmeric & Milk
This is one of the best sore throat cures and it's natural too. Consider one cup of milk and add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Boil the milk for 3-4 minutes. Drink this milk before going to sleep. This fix for adults as well as children helps in the treatment of bronchitis, sore throat, tonsillitis, along with other throat ailments.
- An infection or swelling in the larynx or the trachea can also cause noisy or abnormal breathing.
- Asthma, emphysema and chronic bronchitis generally cause whistling sounds during exhalation.
- The abnormal whistling sounds are caused due to an obstruction caused in the airways in the upper part of the respiratory tract.
- Sometimes such abnormal whistling sounds could be caused due to a poorly functioning heart.
- If the heart is unable to effectively pump blood through the lungs, the lungs may get filled with fluid.
- This may cause the airways to become narrow thereby causing whistling sounds.
- It may also be experienced by those who suffer from acid reflux disease or food allergies.
Case of habitual smokers, with considerable lung damage, the wise thing to do would be to enroll in a lung detoxification program. As the accumulated toxins are being removed or coughed out, the color of mucus would start changing. Once the remnants of tar have been removed, the mucus you may cough or spit out would be bereft of black or brown specks. If, however, violent coughing persists or you see blood in mucus after quitting smoking, the wise thing to do would be to consult a doctor at the earliest. Sputum analysis, blood tests, chest X-ray and other imaging procedures would help the doctors assess the extent of damage caused due to smoking. Doctors may also provide you with some tips on tackling the smoking withdrawal symptoms.
Eating Too Fast
Wolfing down large portions of food at one go, can also lead to problems in breathing. Because, you eat hurriedly you give little or no time for your lungs in order to breathe. This limited oxygen is not enough for the digestion of food, you consume. The end result is shortness of breath, when you are finished with your food. For this reason, it is important that you eat scaleddown portions of food every time and at a slower pace. Eating your meals often, in small portions retains several digestion problems at bay.
Treatment Since pregnancy is a delicate phase, most of the doctors will recommend a natural therapy to soothe the chest pain, especially in the first trimester.
- Did You Know?
- The human rib cage, also known as thoracic cage, has 24 ribs, but nearly 1 in 500 people have an extra rib known as cervical rib.
- In some rare cases, they have two as well!
- There are various causes that can give rise to lung infections causing pain and discomfort, thereby also affecting our own day-to-day life.
- In the event that neglected, lung infections may pose severe complications.
- The situation may be experienced because of the presence of microorganisms, such as germs, viruses, or fungus in the lungs.
Acute bronchitis, unlike the chronic one, is not a cause for concern. In most cases, basic self-care steps in your own home are good enough for its treatment. Parents are advised to help their sick child drink more fluids including water. Increasing fluid intake, helps keep the body hydrated, therefore thinning the mucus and making it easier to cough up. It is important that the affected child gets lots of sleep, since it would help the body heal faster. Aches and pains can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers, however, if children are in consideration, talking to a drug store about the medicine would have been a safer choice.
A person is said to have developed chronic bronchitis if he/she continues to experience the above symptoms daily and for at least three months. And if this continues for two years in a row, then it is a confirmed case of chronic bronchitis. In this case, the cough becomes more severe than before, and the patient may find it more difficult to breathe as the condition worsens. Other symptoms that may surface include headaches, muscle aches, and cyanosis. Chronic bronchitis is mostly caused due to smoking and not any infections. So, if fever occurs along with the above symptoms, then it may indicate a secondary bacterial or viral infection.
- Tuberculosis - It is a life-threatening respiratory disease caused due to bacterial infection.
- Peculiar symptoms of tuberculosis are persistent cough, low-grade fever, weight loss, chills, fatigue, night sweats.
- Teething - Although not a disease, teething is one of the most significant cause of cough and fever in babies.
- The cough produced during baby teething is usually caused due to the excess salivation.
- You should consult your doctor and find out the exact cause of chest pain and breathing difficulty.
- This would help design proper treatment.
- CT scan, chest X-ray, ECG, and so forth. help discover the underlying cause.
Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease that reduces bone density, and hence any person suffering from the same is prone to breaking his ribs even with slight trauma. People with osteoporosis can avoid broken ribs by having calcium supplements, engaging in weight-bearing exercises, and following a balanced diet.
Due to expectorants, you may have an irregular or rapid heartbeat. You may experience labored breathing accompanied with chest pain and consistent weakness, due to which your daily work performance is affected. With a rapid heartbeat, you may also find yourself feeling fatigued with your muscles aching, due to which you may endure cramps.
Costochondritis This is a lung disease that causes a lot of burning in the chest and is brought on by the inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. When the sternum (the point joining the rib bones and the breast bones) becomes inflamed and irritated, it can cause a lot of pain and can be accompanied by varied degrees of cough. Costochondritis could be brought on by a fungal or bacterial infection and can lead to a severe cough with a burning chest to follow. Other than that, a trauma incident wherein there is an injury suffered that affects the sternum can also lead to an inflammation of the chest, chest congestion and cause bouts of cough and burning sensations in the chest region.
Chest burning accompanied by coughing bouts can be an indication of a serious ailment and so, dismissing it's neither wise nor recommended. The lungs are located in the chest location and is one of the most important organs of the body. The lungs are responsible for providing oxygen to the body, that is done by breathing in air and converting it into o2. This is then passed on into the bloodstream. They are also responsible for expelling the impure carbon dioxide from the body. Hence, any condition that affects the particular lungs must be given because of consideration because it straight has an effect on our breathing and so our overall health. There are a number of ailments that can lead to coughing and burning in the chest region. Let us review these and provide you with the solutions of the same.
SolutionTo get this into control, stop smoking if you're straight into the habit and try to protect yourself from the contact with these harmful substances. Other than that, medication forms like bronchodilators as well as other types of pills or even steroids may be prescribed in order to cure the particular burning chest pain.
- Damage to Organs: In case the lower ribs are broken, then there is a huge risk of damaging the other organs of the body.
- These ribs are anchored to the breastbone and can cause damage to liver, kidneys, or spleen.
- Painful Breathing: Pain is a principal symptom of a broken rib.
- The pain is usually worsened by breathing deeply.
- Pain is also felt when one puts pressure on the rib cage, or while bending and twisting the torso.
Another remedy siphoned from the spice vessel is the use of pepper, cloves, and ginger. Ginger root powder combined with finely grounded pepper and cloves may be consumed on a regular basis to fight the infection. Aside from, a few drops of ginger juice extracted from the pulp added to honey makes for an effective syrup; it ought to be consumed before going to bed to have an undisturbed slumber.
Some Natural Remedies for Cough Many people often look for natural remedies for cough as it is a common illness. Also, to avoid any side effects from over-the-counter medications, natural cures are an obvious choice. They also prove to be safe and effective for pregnant women. Let's have a look at some of these cures.
Chamomile: Make some herbal tea using chamomile. You will find chamomile tea bags at any supermarket. So, boil water for a minute and then turn off the stove. Infuse a tea bag of chamomile for a minute. Pour the tea in a cup and keep sipping it slowly. Chamomile tea helps soothe the irritated throat and ease the pain. This tea is relaxing and you can have it before going to bed.
Viral Lung Infection
Some commonly observed, not-so-severe symptoms of viral lung infection are cough, runny nasal, sore throat, moderate fever, and in rare cases, ear infection. Labored breathing, dehydration, and also wheezing are other issues registered by sufferers, who put up with this condition. In serious cases, the claws and lips tend to become glowing blue.
What Induces a Sinus Cough?
The sinuses are small, air-filled cavities which are located on the skull bone on the nose and temple. There are many cavities in this area and their function is to capture dust, dirt and pathogens that type in the nasal passage. Thus they keep the respiratory system passage free of every one of these unwanted debris and also protect against several infections. To keep this particular location lubricated, the particular glands in this area release some thin liquid ingredients that later on, drain to the back of the throat which is known as a post nasal get. This kind of mucus makes holding of the foreign elements easier. If the lining gets irritated, then an inflammation exist in these and the mucus production boosts. As a result, the mucous turns thick. In this condition, the thick post nose drop drained at the back of the throat causes discomfort on the throat lining and induces cough. Hence the thicker drainage makes you cough persistently.
- Treatment Since wheezing can be a symptom of serious medical conditions, the importance of a timely diagnosis cannot be stressed enough.
- If it is caused due to a particular medical condition, treating that ailment will naturally help.
- Labored breathing that results from the narrowing of the airways can cause one to feel tired and exhausted.
- The treatment must therefore aim at normalizing the patient's breathing pattern.
- The patient must be able to breathe comfortably.
The most effective treatment is to drink plenty of fluids. It can be water, fruit juices, soups, and broths. Drink herbal tea. You can add ginger to the regular tea for relief. Use lemon in your drinks, as the acidic properties of lemon help drain the mucus. As the nasal membranes go dry due to swelling, it is most advisable to keep your body well hydrated at all times. This also helps in diluting the mucus, further easing congestion.