Difference Croup Bronchitis: Difference Between Bronchitis and Bronchiolitis
The human respiratory system consists of anatomical structures that act as passageway for inhaled air. The air that we breathe in, flows through the nasal passage and travels through the pharynx, larynx and the trachea. The trachea or the windpipe branches further into the right and left bronchial tubes. The bronchial tubes branch out into smaller branches that are called bronchioles. Clusters of tiny sacs, also referred to as alveolar sacs, are located at the end of the bronchioles. These sacs are surrounded by thin-walled capillaries.
The oxygen from these tiny sacs is passed on into the capillaries, while carbon dioxide from the capillaries is released into the sacs, and is then exhaled out. While the air supplies us with the life-giving oxygen, there are unwanted environmental irritants, allergens or pathogens that we may inhale. Inhalation of these substances can cause inflammation of the airways. The terms 'bronchitis' and 'bronchiolitis' refer to the inflammation of the bronchi and bronchioles respectively. Now that you have a basic idea about the anatomy of the respiratory system, let's learn about the difference between bronchitis and bronchiolitis.
Chest cold is a common phrase, which is used to denote the symptoms of bronchitis. It starts with a common cool or an upper respiratory tract infection; but, soon changes in order to chest overcrowding, accompanied with cough and phlegm. These signs and symptoms can be really bothersome, especially, in the course of nighttime. This condition is called bronchitis, which can be caused by inflammation of the mucous lining in the bronchial tubes. Probably the most common cause of acute bronchitis is viral assaults, but, this condition may also be caused by fungi or bacteria. Other causal real estate agents consist of smoking as well as contaminants. A chest cold can be either acute or chronic. While a lot of the acute cases can be managed efficiently with home remedies, longterm kinds require medical attention.
- Cough As we all know, coughing during a lung infection is the body's way of throwing out the accumulated mucus in the respiratory tract.
- In such cases, buying a medicine that contains an expectorant can help to expel the built up mucus in the lungs.
- On the other hand dry cough is treated with a medication containing suppressants, that are known to suppress the cough.
It is Not Intended to be a Substitute for the Advice of a Medical Expert.
Natural Remedies for Cough.
For Mild Cough, It is Always Better to Make Use of the Normal Cough Suppressants
But again, not all treatments are safe to be used continuously for a long time, especially while pregnant. Honey is a natural remedy for cough that can be used by pregnant women. You can honey to a glass of warm water, and drink it to get relief from the cough.
- Mucinex This is yet another FDA approved medicine that can provide a considerable amount of relief from chest congestion during pregnancy.
- This is one ingredient medication and contains guaifenesin.
- Guaifenesin is basically an expectorant that helps in thinning mucus secretions, which can be easily expelled through coughing.
Well, this cough medicine is not a syrup nor an oral tablet. It is available as a topical ointment and one has to simply apply it on chest to lessen coughing. It contains medicated vapors that help to relieve cough. VicksVapo drops is also a useful remedy for cough and sore throat.
Given below is a labeled diagram of a persons lungs as well as a brief account of the different parts of the lungs and their own functions.
Benefits of Taking Herbal Tea
A number of benefits of herbal tea can be availed by the consumption of this beverage. Herbal tea can be used as a remedy for dry as well as wet (or productive) cough. Here are some of the positive effects of taking a cup of herbal tea. These herbal teas can also be given to children. Sipping hot herbal tea and inhaling the steam emanating from it, helps control the symptoms and also speeds up the recovery time of this respiratory illness.
Cough Medicine During Pregnancy
Following are the medications found to be reliable during pregnancy: Robitussin When it comes to relieving cough during pregnancy, Robitussin is a trusted brand. Robitussin is commonly recommended by doctors and pharmacists to reduce cough in pregnant women. Depending upon the cough syrup strength, different ingredients have been added. However, to be on the safer side, doctors often recommend cough medicine that contains only one ingredient. So, go for 'Robitussin plain' as the only ingredient in it is dextromethorphan, which assists to suppress the cough. This ingredient has been analyzed carefully in laboratories and found to be safe for consumption in pregnant women. Studies show that pregnant women taking dextromethorphan in the right dosage does not cause any birth defects. Pregnant women suffering from dry cough can take this medicine.
Treatment The treatment depends on whether the pneumonia an infection is bacterial, viruslike, or fungal, as well as on how serious it is. Transmissions are usually cured by taking the full course of prescribed antibiotics much like the instructions of the doctor. Antibiotics usually are ineffective against infections, but can usually be remedied simply by taking rest at home for a few days. Fungal infections are cured with the help of antifungal treatments. In order to take care of the particular pneumonia symptoms like a fever, pain, and cough, some over-the-counter drugs may be recommended to deliver comfort and rest. If the signs and symptoms are extreme, a hospital stay could be recommended, wherever antibiotics may be administered intravenously, and o2 therapy may be given. Additionally, several respiratory treatments may also be performed, if required.
The ancient health beverage of the Chinese herbalists, Greeks and Romans, licorice is also another reliable home remedy to get rid of cough and cold. Having demulcent and expectorant properties, licorice tea aids in the expulsion of the phlegm from the respiratory tract, while soothing the sinus cavities and throat. Licorice tea is especially good for productive cough. Seep the roots in boiling water for about 10 minutes and strain it. You can add a sweetener to the beverage if you don't like the strong flavor.
Is observed that taking cough medication that contain antihistamines or iodine are not safe in pregnant women. Even prescription cough medicines contain either dextromethorphan or guaifenesin. On the whole, remember that the overdose of any cough syrup can cause health problems in the unborn baby. So as a precautionary measure, one should first contact a health care provider to know which cough medicine is FDA approved and safe during pregnancy.
- As a summation of the above, remember that viral bronchitis is caused due to the same virus that causes cold and flu.
- Therefore, if suffering from these conditions, you should get them treated immediately in order to prevent viral bronchitis.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
In a majority of cases, viruses arise as the normal causal organisms responsible for causing bronchitis. Severe bronchitis is signified by a rapid onset of particular symptoms that solve within a couple of weeks. On the other hand, in case of chronic bronchitis, the signs and symptoms may last up to four months. Signs of acute bacterial bronchitis include a sore throat, runny nose, yellowish-green sputum, chills, wheezing, lower back pain, malaise, temperature as well as fatigue.
Since symptoms of bacterial bronchitis are similar to these skilled during chilly or flu, certain diagnostic tests would be required in order to make an analysis. The tests that doctors depend on for bacterial bronchitis prognosis include sputum analysis as well as nose lifestyle. These checks can help in detecting the nature of the infection plus assist in the identification of the bacteria that may be responsible for causing the infection. Torso X-ray and blood tests may also be done in order to assess the effect of this infection on the lungs and the overall health of the patient.
Abruptness of Breath as Well as Chest Pain
Having trouble breathing freely, even after the child has done swimming, is a significant indication of drinking water in the lungs and a manifestation of the start of dry drowning. Kids experiencing upper body soreness is quite unusual, which is also an important indicator of water being present in the lungs.
- Is often said that one should not suffer from any respiratory illness such as common cold or cough during pregnancy.
- This is because the medicine that one uses for treatment can influence the baby's health.
- Pregnant women are extremely worried to take any medicine as they are concerned about its effects on the baby.
- Their concern is indeed feasible as it is observed that certain medications used for the treatment for cough can harm the fetus.
- Caution Always keep in mind these cough medications which provide temporary relief have to be used for a maximum of 2-3 days.
- Using it for a longer duration is certainly not advisable.
- Also, these are over the counter cough medicines and can be purchased without prescription.
- However, consulting the doctor is extremely important, so as to know the exact dosage of these medications.
Difference between Bronchitis and Flu - Bronchitis VS Flu
Difference between bronchitis and flu . Difference between , bronchitis vs. Flu bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchus of the lungs. It can be either acute or ...
- One of the most common risk or side effect that can occur in people suffering from whooping cough is secondary infection.
- The infection in the lungs can worsen and lead to bacterial pneumonia.
- You must be aware that pneumonia of any kind can be serious and life-threatening.
- Therefore, more than 50% of the cases of the total number of deaths caused due to whooping cough, are caused due to bacterial pneumonia.
- It should be noted that the effects of bacterial pneumonia are more pronounced and severe in babies and children.
The respiratory organs of the human body help the act of breathing, which is a process that is vital for our success. The internal organs that work in tandem to be able to facilitate the act of breathing in include the nasal passageway, pharynx, larynx, windpipe, bronchi and the lungs. I want to give you a basic idea as to how these organs perform. The air that we breathe will be taken by the windpipe or the trachea, which in turn, bifurcates in to two bronchial pipes called bronchi. These tubes make breathed in air to the lungs, where these people branch into different smaller airways called bronchioles.
The Actual Bronchioles Branch Straight Into Tiny Alveolar Sacs
It is within these sacs that exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs. Exposure to environmental things that trigger allergies or breathing of pathogens may cause inflammation of the components of the respiratory system and result in respiratory infections like bronchitis or pneumonia. The definition of bronchitis refers to the inflammation of the bronchi. When the inflammation of the bronchi is caused by bacteria, one is diagnosed with bacterial bronchitis. Given below is some information on microbe bronchitis signs and symptoms in addition to its causes and treatment options.
Coltsfoot & Myrrh
If you want to opt for homeopathy, then you might make their tea with Coltsfoot. Drink this tea 3 times a day, for 2 times. An additional remedy is applying Myrrh. Gargle with Myrrh extract and warm water. Myrrh has a cleansing relation to the throat and reduces contamination.
- Hytuss This cough medicine is available in a capsule form and also helpful to bring down the cough.
- It contains only guaifenesin which can relieve the discomfort associated with unproductive cough.
- The accumulation of sticky mucus in the lungs as a result of cold or flu, causes chest congestion.
- The guaifenesin ingredient in Hytuss, is quite effective to thin the mucus, so that it can be coughed up easily.
Each lung is enclosed inside a sac known as pleura, which is a double-membrane construction formed with a sleek membrane referred to as serous membrane. The external tissue layer of this structure is named parietal pleura and is attached to the chest wall, whereas the particular inner membrane is named the actual deep, stomach pleura, and it covers the lungs as well as the associated structures. The space between the two membranes is called pleural cavity.