Chronic Bronchitis Complications: Common Causes of Bronchitis
We all know about bronchitis as a respiratory problem in which the inner walls of the bronchial tubes are swollen. The bronchial tubes transport air from the windpipe to the lungs. When the bronchial tubes develop inflammation, the free flow of air in and out of the lungs takes a backseat. Restricted air flow leading to trouble in breathing is one of the most common consequences of bronchitis. Apart from breathing problems, bronchitis induces yellow phlegm producing cough, fatigue, and raises body temperature. Although this respiratory problem strikes both young and adults, not many are aware of its causes. It is discussed below:
- Diseases Caused The following are a few of the major lung diseases caused by bacteria.
- It is important to know about them and do our best to avoid them.
Prevention and Precautions
Lung infections, especially those of the bacterial kind, need to be given adequate medical help. This is essential simply because lung infections move forward faster in their succeeding stages, which are often more difficult to deal with. Hence, an early medical involvement is necessary. Antibiotics are usually approved to people suffering from lung bacterial infections. However, a specialist healthcare practitioner must be consulted before taking antibiotics, as some people may be allergic to some medications and the doctor knows a lot better than anyone else as to which type of antibiotic ought to be used in a particular situation. Signs and symptoms just like persistent, wheezing cough or oddly colored sputum must not be mistaken for a common cold or fever and neglected.
- Allergy to molds can also cause this health issue.
- Dust mites and molds have a higher degree of infestation, especially during winters.
- Dust mites are spider-like creatures that are invisible to the naked eye.
- They are found predominantly on bedding.
Caused by the eponymous bacterial species Mycobacterium tuberculosis, TB is a dangerous chronic lung infection. It has an effect on the efficiency and also oxygen-carrying convenience of our lungs. A person afflicted with TB shows symptoms such as persistent cough, discolored or blood-tinged sputum, erratic attacks of pain in the chest, as well as distress in the course of inhaling and exhaling. This an infection takes a long time to surface and is generally mistaken for flu or common cold at the onset. TB is a contagious disease, spreading when a great affected individual sneezes or even coughs. An individual experiencing TB must use separate personal items like utensils, handkerchiefs, clothing, and so on.
Causes Of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Common Causes Of COPD
Respiratory Diseases -- Causes Of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Common Causes Of COPD -- Chronic obstructive pulmonary illness is a variety of ...
- Marshmallow Marshmallow roots and leaves contain a gummy substance called mucilage.
- It is mixed with water to form a gel, which may be applied to the throat to reduce irritation.
Asthma A dry cough that persists, gets a whole lot worse by cold or flu virus, and happens along with rapid inhaling and exhaling, fatigue, and chest pain, is more likely a symptom of asthma. Now, in some people, asthma may happen mostly at night and not throughout the day. This is known as nocturnal asthma. Thus, it is common for like people to have a dry nighttime cough. Nevertheless, all such signs and symptoms may also be triggered by other conditions and not just asthma.
Lack of proper diet can also trigger this odd feeling of coldness that always comes along with shivering. People showing insufficiency in vitamin b, particularly vitamin B12 are bound to be prone to chills.
- Dry or wet cough is not a disease but a symptom of some other medical conditions that might affect the body.
- It may interfere with sleep, and daily functioning of the affected person.
- In most cases, a dry cough (also known as a non-productive cough) usually worsens at night.
- Remedy: A modification in diet is the key to overcome nutritional deficiency.
- Fish and also eggs are fantastic sources of vitamin B12 and including all of them in the diet can surely prevent occurrence of chills.
- Remedy: A UTI causing bladder infection, is bacterial in nature.
- So, treatment entails taking antibiotics for a specified period in order to get rid of the infection.
- Causes Smoking Recent reports clearly indicate that most cases of bronchitis result due to smoking.
- In fact, smoking has become a major contributor in the rising incidences of bronchitis.
- Also called the smoker's disease, bronchitis associated with smoking is long-lasting and does not go away so easily.
- It may last for two years even, and during this period, the bronchitis subsides and elevates at regular intervals.
- Many ask 'how smoking leads to bronchitis'.
- Well, it is a known fact that inhaling tobacco everyday can eventually damage to any part of the respiratory system.
- Cigarettes are stuffed with tobacco, and so their inhalation irritates the bronchial tubes.
- This subsequently causes inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
- Exposure to passive smoking (second-hand smoke) daily also increases the chances of developing chronic bronchitis.
Iron Deficiency Anemia
Unexplained sensation of cold even in the course of summer that causes shivering and is accompanied by fatigue may suggest anemia, a condition that is normally seen as a low hemoglobin levels in the blood. Hemoglobin or iron materials in red blood cells play a crucial role in order to transport oxygen to different parts of the body. With low hemoglobin, patients do experience intermittent attacks of shivering during the day and may even specifically whine about cold feet and hands. Besides a deficiency of iron, people affected with hemolytic anemia (a condition in which red blood cells die early) may also experience chills.
Influenza The influenza commonly referred to as flu, is a viral infection that can have a negative impact on the bronchial tubes. It is observed that bronchitis cases escalate dramatically during winter, because viral flu infection commonly affects people in this season. A person affected with seasonal flu typically experiences body aches, headaches, fatigue, chills, runny nose, and has a high body temperature. Unlike smoking, the influenza virus usually causes acute bronchitis, which means it lasts for a shorter period of time, and goes away as soon as the influenza virus completes its course.
- Fenugreek Fenugreek seeds are rich in mucilage, lipids, and protease inhibitors, and is used to treat sore throat.
- It also helps to remove mucus and phlegm from the air passages.
Apart from this, placing a humidifier in his/her room will help to clear the blocked nasal passages and provide relief from the coughing. With these remedies and a lot of rest, you will soon be able to say goodbye to the terrible hacking cough. Take care!
- When one develops bronchitis, it can be in an acute form occurring due to a bacterial, or viral infection.
- It is mostly a viral infection, and hence, antibiotic therapy is not of much use.
- Pneumonia, on the other hand, can occur due to a variety of factors.
- It can either be community-acquired infection, or a nosocomial infection.
- It, generally affects immunocompromised individuals, like children, the elderly, pregnant women, etc.
- The main causative agent of pneumonia is the bacterium called Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- The inflammation of the airways causes them to get constricted, thereby constraining the flow of air into the lungs.
- This gives rise to wheezing.
- The color of phlegm might also turn yellow or green.
- Breathing problems suits might also leave the affected individual experience very tired.
- One might also experience a feeling of heaviness in the chest together with pain.
People with bladder infections typically experience painful urination as well as the urine odor too will be unpleasant. Just in case the infection is not severe, chills may take place intermittently without any increase in body temperature. A urinary tract infection (UTI) that has spread to the kidneys initially causes isolated chills and is ultimately accompanied by temperature.
Hypoglycemia Hypoglycemia, meaning blood sugar under normal levels, can also cause isolated chills and is together with extreme sweating, wooziness, headache and an instant heart beat. Diabetics getting insulin needles are prone to hypoglycemia. Accidentally using excessive dose of insulin can cause quick drop in blood sugar levels, eventually causing hypoglycemia. Meticulously following the treatment schedule but sometimes omitting foods also increases the risk of hypoglycemia in diabetic patients. Other causes of hypoglycemia contain excess alcohol consumption, long-duration exercises and a diet low in carbohydrates.
Symptoms Bacterial lung infections are usually manifested through signs such as cough, chest pain, a sore throat, fever, and so on.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) If a night time dry cough is together with heart burn, increased salivation or perhaps a burning throat, then GERD is most likely the culprit. GERD is a chronic condition that causes food material including stomach acid in order to backflow into the esophagus. This acid irritates the lining of the esophagus and triggers a burning sensation, which often causes a dry cough. As GERD is a chronic condition, the cough caused by it is also long-lasting.
Low Iron Diet
When the diet is poor in iron, it is obvious that the person will be sooner or later be diagnosed with deficiency of this dietary mineral. People who are iron deficient often whine about sore throat, which eventually causes forceful coughing. Increasing the intake of dietary iron will reduce irritation in throat and subsequently reduce the cough.
- Dehydration Experiencing chills is considered to be one of the preliminary symptoms of dehydration.
- A dehydrated body is vulnerable to sudden attack of chills.
- When fluid loss is not compensated, the body finds its difficult to maintain its temperature.
- As a result, the person grows more responsive to surrounding surroundings and may suffer from cold chills.
- People participating in marathon often get chills after finishing the event.
- This happens because the body is severely dehydrated due to non-stop running for an extended period of time.
- Apart from chills, dehydration may also result in headache, nausea, muscle cramps and also dark-colored pee.
- Drink a lot of Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Be it soups, herbal teas, or plain warm water.
- Drinking lots of fluids will thin the mucus and make coughing up white mucus easier, also it will decrease the span of infection.
- Persistent shaking chills without fever certainly cannot be ignored and an appointment with a doctor is crucial to diagnose the underlying cause.
- Within your visit to the doctor, make your pet aware of all the signs you are facing.
- This can in turn help the doctor to diagnose the healthcare problem correctly.
Drinking herbal tea mixed with honey also helps in treating a dry cough. It not only helps reduce coughing, yet detoxifies the body, as well. The honey helps in covering the irritated throat, as well as suppresses the cough to some extent. Thyme tea is a trendy herbal tea used by many for dealing with productive and non-productive coughs. Provide a cup of water to boil, and add 1 tbsp. of fresh thyme leaves with it. Let the results in large for 5 minutes. Add teaspoon of honey, and drink.
Spider bites are generally not a cause of concern, but certain spiders like the black widow or brown recluse could cause difficulty to its sufferer. When these types of spiders bite, their own venom (poison) is capable enough to bring about a great allergic reaction that is not confined round the bite region. The painful the signs of venomous spider bites usually persists for more than a day. In other words, the entire body is affected and also the person may drop ill and experience nausea, throwing up as well as banging without fever. In such cases, immediately visiting a doctor is essential to prevent further deterioration of wellness.
Symptoms to Look Out for
The presence of fungus in the lungs need certainly not show virtually any physical symptoms, especially if the infection is moderate. In some cases, only radiography (X-ray) may help in determining the presence of infection ball in lungs. Because the infection will become extreme, the signs gradually start showing up. Most of these tend to be universal symptoms like cough, chest pain, fever, difficulty in inhaling and exhaling, and so on., as a result of which the condition is often misdiagnosed in the initial stages.
- The mortality rate for Klebsiella pneumoniae is very high, even after the patient receives proper treatment.
- Thus, it is important to know and understand the Klebsiella pneumoniae symptoms.
- Early medical intervention will help prevent the disease from turning fatal.
- Hope the above information was helpful to you in understanding the symptoms of pneumonia due to Klebsiella pneumoniae infection.
The symptoms of flu are usually more severe than those of a cold, and they tend to come on quickly. The symptoms of seasonal flu and swine flu are similar in many ways including sore throat, headache, fever, muscle aches, congestion, and coughing. Swine flu is also associated with diarrhea and vomiting. Most symptoms of the flu improve slowly over the course of three to five days, but some people may continue to feel tired and run down for five or six days. The flu can often turn into pneumonia, particularly in elderly people, children, or people with heart or lung complications. If you notice that you are feeling short of breath or having trouble sleeping because of congestion, or if your fever goes away and then comes back after a day or two, then you should consult a doctor. A fever of more than 101 degrees is rare with a common cold, but is fairly common with the flu.
- Remedy: These viral infections generally do not last for more than a week or two.
- During this period, taking adequate rest and drinking a lot of water is all that is required to treat the infection.
- Remedy: In order to restore smooth loss, you need to drink water.
- As dehydration can also result in discrepancy in electrolyte levels, it is also necessary to get fluids containing electrolytes.
- Remedy: Taking iron supplements in the specified dosage is the first line of treatment for this type of anemia.
- The supplements needs to be taken in addition to meals to avoid the occurrence of side effects such as upset stomach.
- To be able to facilitate assimilation of iron, carrying out a diet high in vitamin c, is recommended.
- Remedy: The ancient practice of yoga and meditation can contribute immensely to calm the mind.
- On a regular basis practicing these mind relaxation techniques works to relieve nervousness.
Poor physical health is not the only reason behind occurrence of this cold sensation that causes shivering without fever. People suffering from emotional problems like anxiety disorders (panic attacks) could get this sudden cold feeling from time to time. Visible shivering is often considered as a body's natural response to fear resulting from anxious thoughts. Nervousness, dry mouth and a reduction in body temperature also accompany during anxiety disorders.
As far as the life expectancy of patients afflicted with this disease is concerned, it can be sadly restricted. It is expected to be 2 to be able to 5 years on almost. Drug therapy is effective in a few cases. However, all that the consumption of medication can do is to possibly partially end the staging of the disease, or result in slowing down the process of that spreading. The ones that fall under the category of interstitial lung disease are irreparable as the name indicated. However, there are several that can be cured, the condition being, that one is actually able to diagnose the condition in its neonatal stages. This is due to the fact that when the scarring or damage occurs, the lungs cannot get back to the normal functioning or activity that they are meant to perform.
Causes There are several possible modes of bacterial gain access to into your body, major of which is by means of air, i.e., our breath. Sometimes, bacterial infections are triggered due to pollution or contamination of meals or drinks. Wet areas favor the growth of bacteria. Depending on your immunity toward bacterial intrusion, your body responds in order to bacterial infection. Inhaling pollutants, toxic gases, dust and other harmful substances weakens the lung capacity, can make the immune system weaker and hence, makes us susceptible to the onslaught of pathogens.
Remedy: Usually medical assistance is not necessary but severe cases of toxoplasmosis (especially in those with a weakened immune system) will require treatment in the form of pyrimethamine (Daraprim), an oral medicine that is also recommended for the treatment of malaria. Along with this antimalarial drug, the sufferer is going to be put on antibiotics to be able to effectively manage this parasitic infection.
Remedy: Medications such as levothyroxine that contain synthetically prepared thyroid gland hormones are often approved to deal with this thyroid condition. Hypothyroidism as a lifelong disorder of the thyroid gland, the medications will have to be taken for the rest of the life.
Remedy: In most cases, medical intervention is not necessary as the symptoms do not last for more than a week. However, frequent episodes of looseness of the bowels can cause substantial loss of fluids and electrolytes (potassium, chloride and also sodium). So, in order to avoid dehydration, you ought to drink adequate water and also additionally have electrolyte methods to keep electrolyte levels in equilibrium.
Gallstones Accumulation of hardened deposits of cholesterol (gallstones) in the gallbladder can also result in shivers all over body without fever. The gall bladder is a tiny muscular body organ found below the lean meats. Its main job is to collect bile from the liver and pass it on to the stomach and the intestine. The bile produced by the liver is great for digestion. When there is an excessive amount cholesterol in the bile, it crystallizes and forms a solid mass, leading to the formation of gallstones. Symptoms usually occur when the gallstone has shifted from the gallbladder and it is somewhere in the duct (tubular passage providing you with free flow of bile from the gallbladder). This trapped gallstone in the duct can make the gallbladder inflamed, which can result in correct stomach soreness, nausea, nausea and chills.
- Remedy: Wearing appropriate clothing that protects you from chilling weather can help to solve the issue.
- The onset of winter means there is no substitute for warm clothing that helps to maintain normal body temperature.
You will notice, that the child will feel tired and suffer from body ache. Usually, children also suffer from fever, chills, or even sore throat, when they have problems with this particular infection of the lungs. The child may either have a runny or even a stuffy nose. An baby having bronchitis, will build up crankiness and cry more often. The appetite of the child may be affected and also the child will choose to be in bed more often.
- Mix 5-10 grams of donkey-hide gelatin in hot water.
- Let the mixture cool down, and drink.
- You can also use wine, instead of water.
- This is a traditional Chinese home remedy used to relieve dry cough and other common illnesses.
Short, BODE-index is a 10-point scale. The higher the score, the lower the life expectancy. It has been observed that respiratory problems are associated with higher risk of death, when compared to other parameters, especially for those with high BODE scores. This is only a brief overview about COPD life expectancy and BODE index. Interpretation of BODE index score should be done by a health care professional only.
Influenza, also known as flu, is a highly contagious acute viral infectious disease. Many people get confused between common cold and flu. Influenza is characterized by runny nose, cough, sore throat, high fever, chills, headache, body ache, and weakness. In extreme and rare cases, flu can even lead to death.
Although acute bronchitis is usually caused by viruses, bacteria such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Chlamydophila pneumoniae and Bordetella pertussis help with about 10% of cases. It is really an inflamation related condition regarding the bronchi. Symptoms include cough, that is often productive.
This is a viral or a bacterial infection of the bronchi, tubular passages that transport taken in air to the lungs. This contamination that goes away within a few weeks usually causes swelling of the bronchi which is then followed by regular bouts of cough, chest pain and breathing problems. A common symptom related to acute bronchitis is chills or perhaps temperature. While both these kinds of symptoms can be there in severe bronchitis, in most cases either of these affects. Thus, shivering without fever is relatively common in people identified as having this particular respiratory system tract an infection. Thus, besides coughing, sudden chills and shaking is one of the initial symptoms of acute bronchitis.
Besides the use of aforementioned class of drugs, expectorants may also be prescribed despite the fact that to clear congestion caused by too much production of mucous. Use of cough suppressants may be recommended, if one is in distress due to violent coughing. Because bronchitis medication may sometimes trigger side effects such as nausea, vomiting, sore oral cavity, disappointed stomach, diarrhea or perhaps lightheadedness, one should seek advice from a doctor on experiencing any of these side effects. One must also follow self care measures and make sure that the area are clean and free of irritants. Consuming fluids may help for making up for the loss of liquids due to excessive production of mucus. Smoking makes one highly susceptible to respiratory problems, and therefore, one must refrain from smoking.
Victor is a content specialist at pianavia.com, a resource on natural health. Previously, Victor worked as a post curator at a media startup. When he's not sourcing content, Victor enjoys biking and shopping.